Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue tiger and Fire reds?

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default Blue tiger and Fire reds?

Hey shrimp people. I was just wondering, can OEBT (blue tiger shrimp) go with fire reds in the same tank without cross breeding? I want the 2 together but dont want them to cross breed. Thanks

Alpha Pro Breeders

Thats what I have in one of my display tanks, they definitely compliment each other. They wont crossbreed either.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Pro Breeders View Post
    Thats what I have in one of my display tanks, they definitely compliment each other. They wont crossbreed either.
    Ok cool thanks for the help

Country
    Turkey
    Thanks

They do not crosbreeding but if your fire reds will be very much in tank,it will effect OEBT's breeding negatively. I did this mistake for a long time,my fire reds were breeding very well but i can not have any blue tiger shrimplet. Blue tigers can take eggs but shrimplets can not live with fire reds. When i seperate my blue tigers,i can take lots of shrimplets to my blue tigers.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

In my main tank, they don't cross breed and they co-exist in peace (including good breeding). The only breed that I encountered that is unfriendly to other breeds is the Bee Shrimp.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

How interesting!

So Dengness finds that the presence of fire reds inhibits OEBT breeding, yet Hyoushoku has not had the same problem.

Is it that there were very many shrimp in your Dengness? Perhaps the crowding affected the OEBT more than the fire reds. I understand OEBT to be more sensitive species.

I am also planning this mix in a tank as I think they look great together, and it is useful that they can tank-share without interbreeding.

I had a fantastic stroke of luck today, I have to share:

I was on a day off, and cruising my LFS's for any half decent shrimp, (usually unlikely) (I mostly am horrified by the poor quality of CRS and CBS they sell for 10/each!!!)

However today I was in luck, the last LFS on my tour, a small place, had a few low grade looking cherries. I have no cherries currently, and had resigned myself to buying online as the LFS quality always seems so poor - though I'm starting to think it might just be the conditions in the LFS that make them look poor.

Anyways, I see this bucket on the floor, I look in and see about 10 quite strongly coloured cherry shrimp, then notice loads of shrimplets in there too! So I ask the guy, he says they just came in, and I thought I'd go for it, they were only 3, but looked quite dark. I pointed out the shrimplet and asked for 5 shrimp, and all the water with the shrimplets, he gave it me for no extra charge.

Now I'm home, the shrimp + shrimplet seem to have gone into my little CRS SSS tank ok (temporary while I set them up a place), and I'm realising the adults are all HIGH GRADE painted reds!!! How lucky am I???!!!

So I am setting up a new 20L tank for them, and was thinking of trying OEBT with them. Selling my FR offspring could help pay for the OEBT!!!

However I want the OEBT to breed in there too.

Anyone found either success or failure at co-habiting/breeding this two species alongside each other?

Nat x

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Hi Nat x,

Please note that CRS and Fire Red breed like rabbit. When I first had them, I only had 8 of them. When they accommodate to the environment, they started to breed and I had about a hundred of them within a couple of months. Thus, having a 20L tank may be too small.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

Sure sure, thanks, but its no problem, I will sell, give away, or add them into my larger volume tanks, I have lots of tanks on the go.

Of course u dont mean they will breed together??!!

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

What did you mean by bee shrimp being 'unfriendly'???

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks

Nope. They don't cross-breed.

Thread Information