Thread: CRS tank Borneo Wild / Beni bachi / Mosura questions

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default CRS tank Borneo Wild / Beni bachi / Mosura questions

Ok, so I have been keeping Amano and Cherry shrimp in a community tank for about half a year. I am planning on starting a CRS only tank soon and need some advice.

I started making some Mineralized Top Soil in preparation for this new tank. I planned on letting the plants grow out for a month or so. After checking PH and GH, I was going to go ahead and order the shrimp. However, I came across this article ( shrimpkeeping. com/basics.html sorry about the link, still not allowed to post URLs). I was already planning on using Borneo Wild Humic in the filter to buffer the PH/GH, but the article suggests a few other things. Beni bachi BeeMax, Mineral Powder, Active Water, and Bee3 (or in my case since alpha pro has these: Borneowild Minerax, Borneowild Humic, Borneowild Bacter Crystals, and Borneowild Vigor).

Do I really need to use all this stuff to successfully keep CRS? I would rather not spend more money, but I also want my shrimp to be happy and healthy. The total to start this tank is starting to get a little too pricey. I was set on CRS, but if this stuff is really needed I may just hold off on them. Any help would be appreciated.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Images

Hi and welcome, setting up your new tank you already came across the conflicts of shrimp keeping and shrimp business Blogs posting a lot of products from one line often do friends a favor, or are selling that stuff.

They effect of additives is not always proved, but they won't harm either. Me, I only use bacteria starter and/or a water conditioner for shrimp (what sometimes really is the same). The thing you really need is patience, to let your tank cycled and wait for the nitrification balance to develop. Give your tank 3-4 weeks to run before inserting live stock - that is my advise.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Thanks for the welcome and the reply!

I planned on letting the tank cycle and let the plants grow a bit for a month, or more if necessary. I was also planning on using some water from tank changes, and running a sponge filter that has been used for over a year and should have a lot of beneficial bacteria. Would you still recommend the bacteria starter?

I'm definitely trying to spend as little as I can, but I also want this to be a successful tank. All this reading about how CRS are susceptible to diseases, etc has got me worried that they will die.

Bratyboy2

I just setup a bunch of tanks and I can tell you from my experience that the seasoned filter is a great idea...i throw that in and then a week later I add shrimp...you can use a bacteria starter as more is better...

The plants will really help this tank too...the thing about mineralized soil is it takes a while to cycle...i have used it in the past...you'll get alot of algae which is good for the shrimp...

I would say give it a couple weeks like you plan and you will be good to go...

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Nice. Nice... thanks a lot guys. I'm feeling a lot more confident now, and ready to get this going!

Bratyboy2

Watch out now...it becomes addictive

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Haha... I think I'm already addicted and I haven't even started yet.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by imke_j View Post
    Give your tank 3-4 weeks to run before inserting live stock - that is my advise.
    I'm sure Imke is 100% correct, but I would even consider leaving it longer if you can handle the wait. I've set up 12 tanks in one go a short while ago, I added shrimp to 1st 3 after 4 weeks, 2nd 3 after 5 weeks, 3rd 3 after 6 weeks and last 3 after 8. Shrimp started breeding in the last tank I set up first if thats not just confusing

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

6 weeks sounds like a good plan. I did want the plants to grow in a good bit before adding shrimp anyway.

Thread Information