Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo Shrimp & Pics

GunmetalBlue

Default Bamboo Shrimp & Pics

Hi guys, I have two Bamboo shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis) named "Buzzy" and "Bambi." Buzzy is brownish while Bambi is reddish-orange and they have a couple of other differences tell them apart. I thought the brownish one would turn reddish-orange after he/she's been with me a while, but he/she rarely takes on that tinge. They do change colors, but it's more like they change the intensity of their color, becoming darker or lighter. It can vary throughout the day, looking different in different lighting. They seemed to be mature when I got them and are a little over 3 inches long. I have no idea whether they are male or female, but if I were to judge by their fuller carapace over their pleopod area, I'd guess female.

Buzzy tends to be brownish.

A small window of time when the late afternoon sun hit the aquarium.

Bambi is reddish/orange and has white dots on each side.

The dragon look.

No, those are not little white worms! Buzzy's filtering where part of the water comes out, those are motion-blur bubbles.

Their fans look quite delicate considering their somewhat clumsy body.

They're strange but interesting creatures

Just got this pic of Buzzy's molted exoskeleton. After moving into a larger tank the two seemed quite happy. Then about a week later, Buzzy stopped eating and moving around. I thought "Oh no, what's wrong?" But just like my Macrobrachium, apparently they have reduced activity before amolt. The next day, Bambi did the same thing, less activity, then a molt.

It seems a movie would better depict the molting event. They must literally jump out of their skin once the carapace on the top of their head area splits open. I recently witnessed the split open carapace on my M. lanchesteri and when I looked closer, the shrimp started vibrating. I thought she was having convulsions or something! I ran to get the camera which took only 5 seconds, but by the time I got back to the tank, she had already hopped out of her shell.

-GB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GunmetalBlue For This Useful Post:

myles (19th Apr 2011)

Editor
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Hello GB,

Wonderful pictures showing the different shades of colour they can exhibit!

I have 5 in my tank now and enjoy them coming out to “fan” in the water current during the day. I have yet to seem mine molt but assume with 5 that there must be a Male & Female, so wondering if I will see any carrying eggs soon.

GunmetalBlue

Hi Rupert, aren't they charming when they "fan?" They really get into it. Saw them "boxing" the other day, one refused to give up her favorite fanning spot. They have the whole tank, but like kids, I suppose they need to see what the other one is up to.

I understand that Bamboo shrimp young go through the larval stages and need brackish/salt water. I've not yet heard of someone successfully breeding them and it would certainly be interesting to hear, if it's been accomplished.

-GB

Editor
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GunmetalBlue
    I understand that Bamboo shrimp young go through the larval stages and need brackish/salt water. I've not yet heard of someone successfully breeding them and it would certainly be interesting to hear, if it's been accomplished.

-GB
    Hello GB,

I was reading that they didn't go through the larval stages? Anyway as I have 5, I expect & hope that one will get eggs soon so that I will find out.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing, really nice pictures. Very well taken.

I don't have luck in keeping these, I don't know why, they always die. Buzzy and Bambi seem very healthy under your care. Very interesting to watch creatures, watching them filtering the water and stuffs.
    - LaLaLa~!!

Senior
    Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

Wow..this is very nice shrimp. I had 2 of them last time. But seem like can't last long. Am i mix with cherry or other smaller shrimps?

GunmetalBlue

Hi Rupert, I don't think I'm supposed to add a link here so I'll email you where I got my info about Bamboo shrimp having larval stages of reproduction. If your source is online, I'd be interested in getting your link with the info too!

Hi Walter and Dom, hmmm, I have the opposite problem, my Bamboo shrimp seem easy to keep; it's the smaller algae-eating shrimp that I have trouble with. So sticking with Red Cherries for now until I become more experienced. I only have three Cherries - two females and one male so wish me luck on the breeding, hehe.

Dom, yes, Red Cherries and other small shrimp can live with the Bamboo shrimp and do fine.

Editor
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GunmetalBlue
    Hi Rupert, I don't think I'm supposed to add a link here so I'll email you where I got my info about Bamboo shrimp having larval stages of reproduction. If your source is online, I'd be interested in getting your link with the info too!
    Hello GB,

Typical I couldn't find my link again, but am now convinced that they do go through larval stages. I looks like that I will need to some reading to figure out how to provide the salty water needed to raise them.

Has anyone in the forum breed Wood Shrimp?

Country
    Antarctica
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert
    Hello GB,

Typical I couldn't find my link again, but am now convinced that they do go through larval stages. I looks like that I will need to some reading to figure out how to provide the salty water needed to raise them.

Has anyone in the forum breed Wood Shrimp?
    I have not bred A. moluccensis, but, yes - this shrimp does indeed pass through several brackish-water (planktonic) larval stages.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

I put the larvae in full strength sea water.. they died instantly.
    Anyone could advice?

Thread Information