Thread: aquarium salt with cherry shrimp

cjp

Default aquarium salt with cherry shrimp

I would like to keep some Bronzetail Guppies with my cherry shrimp,but would like to add some aquarium salt to the water.Can I do this with out harming my cherry shrimp?They are in a 10gal. and I was thinking of a tablespoon of salt for the tank.Can this be done?

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

It can be done, but your guppies and shrimp don't need it. I have used 1TBSP/5 gallons to treat ich in a tank with cherry and didn't observe any ill effects.

cjp

The store were I bought them from has salt in there tanks.I don't put salt in my tanks as I have more tetras and plants in most tanks.The cherry shrimp are in there own tank,and I would like to raise some guppy fry in there with them.

Aaron

cjp, if you intend to breed your cheeries, guppies are not ideal mates since they are opportunistic feeders, thus shrimplets are in danger if you dont have good hiding places...

Aaron

cjp

Default cherrys and guppys

I thought of that,and will move the guppys to their own tank this weekend.Thanks for the reply.cjp.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default salt

My shrimps die when I mix them into water with a table spoon of salt per 10 gallons. In other words, I tried acclimating them into my african cichlid tanks, but they die within a couple of minutes.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Images

Hi,
    at first what are "bronzetail" guppies? As an experienced guppy breeder I don't know such a strain and I know the majority of all guppy strains worldwide. I'm curious to see a picture. Can you please show me a picture?

Guppies can adapt to a very wide range of conditions, from pure, soft freshwater to full strength sea water. If your guppies are juveniles, there is no need to add any salt. They don't need it and healthy juveniles can easily adapt to new conditions within a few days.

Salt probably won't kill your cherry shrimps immediately but it's a pretty bad idea to add it. Like all crustacean they have great difficulties with the osmosis and salt would stress them, which can lead to their death sooner or later. So stop adding salt and think about changing your LFS. They are probably not that good if they offer you fishes with fancy names which they keep in not suitable conditions. Guppies are fresh water fishes, they don't need any salt at all. They can live in salt water but they don't need it, even when they grew up in brackish water.

regards

Robert

dfung

salt will kill your shrimp

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Salt will not kill your shrimp. I treated my tank for 3 weeks with salt ( guppy had ick) and my shrimp did very well. shrimp & snails will do fine when treating or adding salt. guppy do not need salt, but to treat its fine.
    the treatment was 1 tsp for every ten gallons, and after a 30% water change I added 1 tsp a gallon more. so its fine to treat for ick etc. with salt and your shrimp will do fine.

Thread Information