Thread: Red Volcanic Shrimp (Greeting From Chicago Illinois in the United States)

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Unhappy Red Volcanic Shrimp (Greeting From Chicago Illinois in the United States)

Greetings everyone,

I am a new member and this is my first post.

I have a tank of Red Volcanic Shrimp that I received as seahorse food but I couldn't bear feeding them to my ponies so I started a tank. This was back in probably 2005. The seahorses were a gift from my mother and she passed away in 2006 and so did the seahorses but the little shrimps are still around. I have lousy eyesight so I can't say I have ever seen these little guys carrying eggs but I don't think their lifespan is 7 years so they must be reproducing as I still have probably half of them at least.

I am not sure if I should ask for help here so I apologize in advance if it should go somewhere else. I am attaching some pics, they show my shrimp, the volcanic rock and live rock I have in the tank, but the help I need is to identify the little black soft growths in pictures 6, 7, and 8, they resemble corals but I haven't a clue where they came from. If anyone has any idea could you please enlighten me? I really appreciate any advice given.

Thank you,
    JuJu
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Juju For This Useful Post:

QC Discus (8th May 2013)

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

the shrimp are: halocaridina rubra, with an estimated lifespan of 10+years i believe (don't quote me on this) but they will only breed in brackish environments, however as the the black "soft growth, it looks like some sort of sponge, do they have some sort of orifice, like a large hole, and several other small holes? if so its a sponge, and if you want to create an environment concussive for breeding H. rubra, leave the sponges in this tank and set up another, the growth are very interesting however, and i haven't seen anything like them.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Hi Juju. I'm downstate Illinois. Close to St. Louis. Ro smith is right about your shrimp. They are nick named the super shrimp. I've read they can live to twenty years of age and can stand extreme conditions. They are native to Hawaii.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Very cool shrimp.
    I like the idea of keeping salt water shrimp, and have been considering adding that to my fresh water shrimp setup.
    Keep them going you have a cool set up there .

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

I am in the Chicago are too. If you ever get too many shrimp and want to give away or sell some. I would buy some if the price in reasonable. Let me know, my e-mail is EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead

Thread Information