Thread: hello from Texas

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Smile hello from Texas

my name is Doris and ive been raising CR shrimp for about a year with several vampires as tank mates. ive been having a problem with unexcepted deaths of my CR and cant figure out whats going on. if anyone can help me i sure would appreciate the help. my husband is a Discus raiser, but i prefer the shrimp. blessings to all.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by utnana View Post
    my name is Doris and ive been raising CR shrimp for about a year with several vampires as tank mates. ive been having a problem with unexcepted deaths of my CR and cant figure out whats going on. if anyone can help me i sure would appreciate the help. my husband is a Discus raiser, but i prefer the shrimp. blessings to all.
    Hi Doris, first i want to say welcome!

Second thing i would suggest is your water parameters to help you with your quarries, most deaths from keeping crs is poor water conditions(parameters). If you could provide us with your parameters we could help you better in assessing what the problem is. You have mentioned that you have been keeping CRS for a year or so, have you had success with breeding them prior to these issues you are having?

Best Regards,
    Stephen

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

i check my water parameters and they are fine. i have hard water so my PH is around 8.2. No copper, ammonia, nitrates or anything else out of the ordanary. im looking to use RO to see if that will soften the water. ive had no problem until this past weekend. i have not seen any babies in several months but i do know they are there. i never had problems with breeding, but it looks like my females (with eggs) are dying. i have a 40 gallon tank with a AquaClear 110 that is made to filter 90 gallon tank. the only think that i can possible think of it that ive been triming plants and adding plants. my temp is around 80 degrees and i have good lighting for the plants. i hope that will help. thanks for replying.

Blessings
    Doris

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Images

To me that PH is VERY high for keeping crs successfully, what about your GH and KH? Although from your PH it looks like your KH will be high also, with high temp and high GH/KH i would assume that your shrimps are growing too fast at this temp and also having trouble molting their shells as this water parameters you have provided seem to be to hard to them. You have mentioned that your husband breeds discus? He should know about making soft water etc, maybe ask him and he might be able to help you out. Yes you are right RO water will help lower your PH/GH/KH, it might be a short fix but i will need to know what substrate you are using and what water parameters you have out from the tap. It is very hard to pinpoint the main issue if we don't know all of these because there are so many factors to consider. Most people like myself use active soil which helps to lower PH, with that i also use RO water which has low PH and GH/KH/TDS of 0.

Sorry if i'm not helping much, i hope others can chime in with your issues also.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Images

Hi Doris, welcome to shrimpnow! I moved your thread to this section, to have more readers.

...adding plants
    Are this pants coming from a LFS? If yes, your should remove them asap, as almost all are treated with pesticides before being exported. They need to be rainsed for a very long time (~4 weeks) before they are shrimp safe.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

ive taken the plants out that i put in last night and lowered the temp by 4degrees. it was pretty warm this morning in the tank ( 84), while the lights were out. found more dead ones and fished them out. im totally baffled as to what is going on. ph is 8.2. i have hard water and the only way to change that is to add RO water which my husband is making up for me now. ive had these shrimp for almost a year and this is the first and only major problem that ive had and the only change that ive made. they have lived in this enviroment for such a long time, why would it kill them now?

Regular
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks

It is difficult to tell what changed that made them start dying suddenly.

Shrimp have such basic immune systems and such small bodies that sometimes it is hard to even detect what chemical it was that caused a problem as the PPM of that chemical would be so small that people don't usually even pay attention to it or notice it.

It could also be molting problems that didn't really become fatal until the shrimp were fully mature (which they should be at this point).

The one silver lining in this is that *ideal* Crystal Red Shrimp water parameters and tank conditions are similar to Discus conditions (with the exception of having a much lower water temperature) so you should have access to the R/O water and experience that would be required to maintain a low TDS (clean) and soft-water tank for the shrimp.

Thread Information