Thread: housing Crystal reds with Giant African Filter Shrimp

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Images

Red face housing Crystal reds with Giant African Filter Shrimp

Hello Shrimp lovers across the globe!!

i'm ellie and this is my first time here in this forum and also having shrimps (or any marine) as pets. however i fell in love with shrimps after seeing them in some nano tank in a petshop therefore i've decided to take the challenge to keep them and help breed these beautiful creatures.

The problem is, there are 2 major shrimps that i like most. one of them is Crystal Red, and another would be Giant African Filter Shrimp also known as Atya gabonensis. From what i have read at other forums (petshrimp.com) it says that giant african filter shrimp are known to be harmless and is not even capable of hurting the smallest fry or other, smaller shrimp & it can be housed with all dwarf shrimp. However it's size can be over 15cm .i would like to put these two species together but i dont have the guts to try because both shrimps are indeed rare and expensive .

i would really appreciate to have someone in this forum to give me some guidance (^.6). educate me if possible, i'm willing to learn from experts.

So,does anyone out there experienced with giant african filter shrimps?
    and will it be advisable to house them together?

- noob ellie in shrimps -

ps: this is how giant african filter shrimps looks like

Alfalex

Hi Ellie,
    I have a giant african filter shrimp with Cherry, amano and atya monoculensis. The only problem that occurred with this shrimps is when I have introduced a huge atyopsys monoculensis. After 5 minutes I've remove the new shrimps because they won't stop fighting! Hope it's help!

Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

Filter feeding shrimps, such as this African or Singapore/Wood Shrimp, will not eat Cherries or other shrimp they come in contact with. In the event that a healthy baby cherry (or other species) gets "caught" in the filter shrimp's "hands", they will probably do the quick jerk reaction to get out of a bad situation.

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Images

Thats great information, Thanks Alfalex and Retardo!!

Sounds stressful to me for poor little baby shrimps..guess it isn't a good idea housing them after all, unless they have super natural powers!! Will Keep both Shrimps seperated in the near future ..Thanks alot!

by the way Alfalex, since you mentioned about your Giant African Filter shrimps, do they need special attention to keep/ breed them? I don't mind breeding more "Batman looking" shrimps

Or does anyone have more information about these Giant filter shrimps and their habitat... do update me, it would be very helpful for my future african filter shrimps

- noob ellie in shrimps -

Alfalex

Hi, I never try to breed my giant african filter shrimps as they required brackish water. I don't do any special care maybe something I gave them frozen artemia when I feed my african dwarf frog!

Thread Information