Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting tank to share chiller and filter

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Default Cutting tank to share chiller and filter

Sorry for asking such a question.

I would like to find out if anyhow here knows how to cut holes in their tanks?

I am think of such is because I have a two tier 3 feet tank and i would like to share the chiller and canister filter.

Hence I thought if I could cut a holes at the top back portion of the top tank and connecting a pipe to flow water to the bottom tank.

Then with my canister filter I can pump the water from the bottom tank to the top. The over flow water will flow back to the bottom tank through the hole. With that I think it will also be possible to cool both tanks with one chiller... Not sure if this works... please correct me if I am wrong or if there is an easier method to share. Thanks...

I tried to draw a diagram in paint to illustrate what I mean hope its not too ugly...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Country
    Czech_Republic
    Thanks
    Images

I plan something similar...
    But making holes is a risk. Better let glassman to make it before gum tank together. I would not risk drill working tank.
    I think that puting chiller after canister filter is better, you don't need other pump.
    Also you will have same watter with same parameters in both tanks.
    Good luck

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Dun need drill, but need some diy. I also got a lot of complicated ideas regarding this before, then I saw a device called "I-something" and realised it was superior. The following is my interpretation of how easy it can be done.

**maxpt1****maxpt2
    ***==********__
    **//***\\*****//*\\
    *||*****||***||***||
    *||*****||***||***||
    tank1***||***||***||
    ********\\**//****||
    *********==*****||
    **************** ||
    **************** ||
    **************** ||
    **************** ||
    **************** ||
    **************** ||
    ****************tank2

The water level between maxpt1 and maxpt2 is kept constant by gravity. maxpt2 should have an opening to the air. Can try sawing, or more easily, get a Y or T joint. Pump the water up from tank2 to tank1.

The pipe diameter will limit the response speed of the overfow mechanism, so I suggest you match your pump rate to your pipe diameter. Best is get those super wide diameter PVC pipes, available from any hardware store.

Have fun!

Curses! Spaces dun work!, I'll put an * and you just pretend they're enpt space

Editor
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shrimp
    Sorry for asking such a question.

I would like to find out if anyhow here knows how to cut holes in their tanks?

I am think of such is because I have a two tier 3 feet tank and i would like to share the chiller and canister filter.

Hence I thought if I could cut a holes at the top back portion of the top tank and connecting a pipe to flow water to the bottom tank.

Then with my canister filter I can pump the water from the bottom tank to the top. The over flow water will flow back to the bottom tank through the hole. With that I think it will also be possible to cool both tanks with one chiller... Not sure if this works... please correct me if I am wrong or if there is an easier method to share. Thanks...

I tried to draw a diagram in paint to illustrate what I mean hope its not too ugly...
    cannot view your pic. Anyway cutting a hole in the glass is easy. If you want bring your tank over to my place i can drill it for you . On the condition that you have to take some pics on the procedure and post it here.

cheers
    xtrekker

Editor
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Opps i overlook its a 3ft tank.. if you are staying in the west , i can make a trip to your place and drill it for you. Btw , i only got 22mm and 28mm bits.

cheers
    xtrekker

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xtrekker
    Opps i overlook its a 3ft tank.. if you are staying in the west , i can make a trip to your place and drill it for you. Btw , i only got 22mm and 28mm bits.

cheers
    xtrekker
    Hmm... I think bringing the tank to your place can be a problem as I stay in the east.

If I get the tank done up I will be very happy to share it with the people here, and will document the process and host it here. I have to think about how to cut the holes first.

Thanks for your interest in the idea... really appraciate it. btw I can view the picture. hope everyone here can view it too....

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gr81
    I plan something similar...
    But making holes is a risk. Better let glassman to make it before gum tank together. I would not risk drill working tank.
    I think that puting chiller after canister filter is better, you don't need other pump.
    Also you will have same watter with same parameters in both tanks.
    Good luck
    I agree with your point about having the same water in both the tanks too. Its a major disadvantages as if the the water goes bad then both tanks will be affected... and all my CRS in both tanks will die... that is the reason why I am reconsidering with proceding with the idea...

In a change of arrangement can make this idea useful into an automatic water change system. The hole on the top tank will drain the water away while the a pump controlled by a timer pumps fresh water from the bottom tank to the top one, as illustrated below. Thought of this because I was told that a regular change of water will increase the breeding chances... so thought of automating it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Hi, if you do a search in the marinefish hobby forum, there is such things as a overflow box (think is a DYI by some hobbyist called it I-box or something). Instead of drilling holes, just get one of those I-Box.

I beleive the principle is overflow by suction via a pump/filter canister, etc. Hence it will meet your requirement.

I will try to search it for you. If found, will update on this thread of yours.

Senior
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Bingo.....at first search too .

Please see below link :

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=10336

Hope it helps.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel
    Bingo.....at first search too .

Please see below link :

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=10336

Hope it helps.
    Thanks alot for the inform... but i dont really understand how it works... I asked about the price and it will cost ard $165...

Maybe someone can explain the theory behind how it works and we can work on a DIY prototype...

Thread Information