Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 150 gallon shrimp pond?

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default 150 gallon shrimp pond?

Hey guys,

I have two 150 gallon plastic bins I was thinking about either setting up for betta macrostoma or a shrimp breeding paradise. Or maybe both
    Here is the thing, I am from Minnesota. So I was going to set it up now since all the snow is pretty much melted and throw some wood in there to start growing some algae. It gets pretty hot here in the summer but the nights can get a little cool as well. Do you think most kinds of bee or tiger shrimp could do in here? Don't want to do cherries because they are too common around here.

In the end, I was hoping to build up enough micronutrients and algae by june to have a self sustaining shrimp breeding paradise. Give me your thoughs/ideas/criticism for this project.

Thank you very much!

~ Phil

PS if anyone in the US has any extra bee or tiger variations they are willing to start me off on this project let me know It would be greatly appreciated.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

No input from you experts!? Hmmm

Country
    Serbia
    Thanks

I'm no expert, but here's what I think:

- you should make some insulation to compensate day/night temperature changes
    - grow algae as quick as you can, feed them as needed
    - cover the top of bin with some dense net to prevent mosquito and dragonfly larvae development
    - make sure they have enough O2 in water

Some of entusiasts here, in my country, do similar things to grow Guppy and other fishes from May to October, with a great success.

Share some pictures of your project if you start it.

Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CTale For This Useful Post:

daphilster08 (15th Mar 2012)

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CTale View Post
    I'm no expert, but here's what I think:

- you should make some insulation to compensate day/night temperature changes
    - grow algae as quick as you can, feed them as needed
    - cover the top of bin with some dense net to prevent mosquito and dragonfly larvae development
    - make sure they have enough O2 in water

Some of entusiasts here, in my country, do similar things to grow Guppy and other fishes from May to October, with a great success.

Share some pictures of your project if you start it.

Good luck!
    Hey thanks much for the reply!

That is pretty much what I have acquired so far through posting this on numerous forums. It should be very successful! The mosquito net is a must and the algae process will be started soon.
    My questions are how should I make it some what insulated?
    How to have O2 in the water? I was planning on having this self sustaining (or trying to at least) with no filtration or anything.

Also, if I had one of those Koi pond heaters, do you think I could keep it through the winter with a tarp or something over it? Probably wont try that but I am just curious

Country
    Serbia
    Thanks

You can use some form of styrofoam for insulation - as thick as you can find. It is good to prevent temperature drops. Put it on the outer side of the bin.

For the O2: standard way is to have air pump or compressor, with an airstone in a pond.

I would not recommend to leave shrimps in a pond through the winter. Or, if I may say so, I wouldn't do it with a large number of shrimps.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Alright I will look into that. Don't know how I will get it to stay perfectly on the outside of the bin but I will try.

For o2 I am going to try with just a couple air stones and see how that goes.

And ya thats a good idea. If they breed profusely, than I would probably only leave between 30 and 50 out in the bin just to see if it would work.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Sounds like a great idea. Keep us updated!

Country
    Serbia
    Thanks

You can tie it with some plastic strings. You can cut them and glue it (silicone glue) to fit the size. It's easy to work with.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shick Settima View Post
    Sounds like a great idea. Keep us updated!
    Thanks! Will do!
    Quote Originally Posted by CTale View Post
    You can tie it with some plastic strings. You can cut them and glue it (silicone glue) to fit the size. It's easy to work with.
    Sounds good! I will try it when the time comes around!

Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

I agree with CTale, they are all good ideas for maintaining a colony. I am from Pennsylvania and keep my shrimps in my garage for the winter and move them outside for summer. It seems that they do fine in my 20 gallon with about half sunlight during thehot summer days. The plants grow well and the temperature does not change too much over the night. I wouldn't worry about it getting to cold but you should monitor the temperature daily and have some circulation in your tank from an air pump system. With a 120 gallons the water shouldn't be greatly affected by the nights but may get too hot with good sunlight and warm weather so just keep that in mind in late june into july!
    Edit: I also know a few breeders that can sell you some decent grade tiger shrimp. When you are ablt to send a private message(I don't think it's available to new members right away) send me a message and I will send you url's with their auctions/websites.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zane For This Useful Post:

daphilster08 (17th Mar 2012)

Thread Information