Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 150 gallon shrimp pond?

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zane View Post
    I agree with CTale, they are all good ideas for maintaining a colony. I am from Pennsylvania and keep my shrimps in my garage for the winter and move them outside for summer. It seems that they do fine in my 20 gallon with about half sunlight during thehot summer days. The plants grow well and the temperature does not change too much over the night. I wouldn't worry about it getting to cold but you should monitor the temperature daily and have some circulation in your tank from an air pump system. With a 120 gallons the water shouldn't be greatly affected by the nights but may get too hot with good sunlight and warm weather so just keep that in mind in late june into july!
    Edit: I also know a few breeders that can sell you some decent grade tiger shrimp. When you are ablt to send a private message(I don't think it's available to new members right away) send me a message and I will send you url's with their auctions/websites.
    Cool! Thats great to hear! So you just set a 20 gallon outside in a partly shaded area and pretty much do the same concept as me? Got any pictures of what it looks like? I am excited to start this!

Thanks about the tiger shrimp! Are these guys on any forums? I would love to buy some tigers off of them!

Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

I don't have any pictures unfortunately but what I do is I keep the tank by my back door to the garage so during the day I leave the door open where it gets about 4 hours of direct sun and mostly ambient light through out the day. I also have a small koi pond (about 100 gallons) that I kept ghost shrimp in and I barely monitored the temperature on it. I think you'll be fine as long as there's circulation and not a lot of direct light, especially on hot days. And I don't think they are on any forums; I've been watching their sales because I've been interested in buying tigers from them.
    By the way I house many species of Neocaridina so they are very hardy as you already know. I still think it would be safe for tigers but I do not have first hand experience with them. Caridinas like tiger shrimp are more sensitive to varying water conditions. You may want to put some cherries from your local fish store and put them in the tank before putting tigers or bee shrimp in. That way if they do not survive you know the water conditions are too harsh and can adjust before buying the more expensive shrimps.

Country
    Serbia
    Thanks

Any developments so far? It would be nice to see some pictures of that 150 gallon shrimp pond

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Not much going so far! It was beautiful when I posted this thread and than it snowed a couple times since! But now it is getting nice again! Will grab some pics of the pond but it might not be of it fully set up! Stay posted!

Country
    Serbia
    Thanks

I can hardly wait

Regular
    Country
    Cambodia
    Thanks

Is it for outdoor?
    How are you going to keep them in winter?
    Central heating???

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

Also, insulate the bottom of the container, or get it off the ground, you would be surprised by the amount of chill coming up from the ground.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Good to know about lifting it off the ground! Thats news to me! Thanks!

I plan to heat it with a pond heater and just cover it with a home made tarp cover so that snow is not always falling in. That or I may just move all the shrimps into like a 50 gallon tank in doors for the winter.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Images

I wonder why it becomes quite popular to try shrimp mass breeding under low tech conditions, when you are not a commercial shrimp farm We should always seek to give our pets the best possible environment, with good water conditions, lighting, food and so on, instead of trying to test which is the minimum water temperature they can take etc pp. Besides, there is a risk to make even more neozon coming up in our countries. In Germany, we already have a warmer creek with Guppies and neocaridina in it, from former pet keepers, and this is NOT cool. Just my 2 cent on it.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imke_j View Post
    I wonder why it becomes quite popular to try shrimp mass breeding under low tech conditions, when you are not a commercial shrimp farm We should always seek to give our pets the best possible environment, with good water conditions, lighting, food and so on, instead of trying to test which is the minimum water temperature they can take etc pp. Besides, there is a risk to make even more neozon coming up in our countries. In Germany, we already have a warmer creek with Guppies and neocaridina in it, from former pet keepers, and this is NOT cool. Just my 2 cent on it.
    I agree about former pet keepers adding their inhabitants to the wild. We just found out a couple weeks ago that the asian carp made it up all the way to Minnesota where I live! How crazy! Now thing about the snakeheads adapting down south here in the US terrorizing the local lakes and streams..

However, I think the breeding conditions in a pond would be just as good, if not better of a environment for the shrimp to live.. What do they need a clean glass 10 gallon aquarium for? Lighting would be absolutely natural. Water conditions would be much more stable than the little tanks most people provide them with. Food would be natural with me dosing here and there. These shrimps would be more than happy in my eyes!!

Thread Information