Thread: Two color variations of Red Cherry Shrimp?

Regular
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default Two color variations of Red Cherry Shrimp?

Hello,

pardon me if this has already been asked. I reviewed the entire Species Forum, and did serches in the other forum to try to find the answer first.

So - are there two color variations of Red Cherry Shrimp?

I've gotten more than one source of Red Cherry Shrimp, and kept them in different tanks. There seem to be two slightly different variations, unless one group has some other type mixed into its lineage (from hybridization).

One seems to be a very clear red. The patterning is quite evident, and the males are mostly clear with some red patterning. The females become more red with age, but ultimately still retain a bit of patterning on the lowest part of their abdomen, even when fully mature. The females also get redder with each molt. The red color is a bright "flag" red. If there is any striping down the backs of some individuals, it is very faint and thin.

The other seems to be a darker, maroonish red, what I'd describe as a ketsup red. These also seem to have quite wide, prominant stripes down their back when mature. The stripes are beige, and the body color is very solid, and attained at an earlier maturation point. The males are much more red, and the females get quite dark red.

I really see a visible difference between these two groups.

So, are these differences due to the range of variation that would occur in any given population when an isolated group with a small gene pool interbreeds for a certain amount of time? Or are the ones with the stripe showing some sort of hybrid ancestry?

I'm really intrigued by this!
    -Jane

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jane of Upton For This Useful Post:

myles (20th Feb 2011)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Images

Hi Jane,
    they are still cherry shrimps and belong to the same species. I have both of these lines and yes there is a slight genetical difference regarding the coloration. But the slightly different coloration is the only difference. I mixed them to get red males and super red female but I mainly got the striped version again. This line seems to have more dominant traits. I don't know more details because I keep them in a group and back crosses with older generations are possible.

BTW, only the solid red females show sometimes this mahogany red. They can even become partly black or bluish which looks quit ugly. The striped line never shows this.

regards
    Robert

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

myles (20th Feb 2011)

Regular
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Wow, that's interesting! Thanks, Robert!

So you said the ones without the stripe (the ones with the lighter, more mottled color) are the ones that get blackish? I thought the mahogany ones with the cream stripe tended to get very dark like that. Or is it a language thing - striped, mottled, patterned? Did I misunderstand which group gets a blue to blackish color?

My population of the "lighter" mottled ones with the almost-clear males is only recently matured (1st reproductive cycle), so I haven't seen any get very dark.

I wondered if the striped lineage would be dominant. It somehow seems it.

I actually find I prefer the "flag red" of the ones without the cream stripe. It seems silly, but its a "happier" red to me!

-Jane

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Hey Jane, actually the coloration of cherry reds can vary greatly depending on the strain and the breeder. As you probably know the entire line is artificially bred as there is no wild red variation. Asian farms have bred another variation of cherry red, (Neocaridina heteropoda) called Sakura red which is a deep, solid bright red. There are also other color morphs of Neocaridina heteropoda: yellow, orange, and now blue and green. Breeders have also come out with several other colors and shades in between, but the colors do not carry over to the next generation. The only colors that are now stable in heteropoda are red, yellow, and recently green and blue. There is another new breed called Fire blue, which is bred from neocaridina-cf-zhangjiajiensis, same as the blue pearl and white pearl. You can see photos on aquabotanic.com

Country
    Brazil
    Thanks

On this amazing report of Wild Neocaridinas and their selection up to Red, Orange and Rili phenotypes, the first thing mentioned is that striped individuals had a more intense coloration:
    gillgallery.com/neocaridina-heteropoda (can't post the link because I'm a new user..)

This other topic mentions discussion on which striped individuals would have a poorer coloration:
    "Came across some strange discussions during my search that there were 2 kinds of Fire Reds; Sakura Fire Reds and Taiwan Fire Reds.
    The claim was that Sakura FR were darker red, had a pale stripe running down the back and the offsprings had very poor percentage of coming out Fire Red.
    Taiwan FR on the other hand, were more bright red, is completely homogenous in color (no stripe) and only about 10% of the offsprings needed to be culled."
    aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php/74217-Grading-system-of-Cherry-to-Fire-Red-Shrimps

Some other sources say that stripes don't make much difference at all. I'm new to N. heteropoda breeding, and although none of the Red Cherry Shrimp I've first bought had stripes, some of the Orange Sakuras I've just acquired do have them. I didn't notice any difference in the color among striped and non-striped individuals...

Do stripes interact with color saturation or don't they?

Country
    France
    Thanks

Darker red ( you say marroonish, i rather say "bordeaux wine") is just due to bluish color on red, this bluish color that makes Blue Rilli and blue velvet. When you catch these "special" red cherry in outdors tanks, they are often discolored, red is fade but blue veil stays, so shrimps appear purple, befor turning back bordeaux wine. Of course you must cull these shrimp of your Red cherry or Sakura strain, but you can raise it appart, not so ugly.

Thread Information