Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Neo tank build.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default Yellow Neo tank build.

Just started with the build. I grabbed a 40B a couple weeks ago and started building the stand a few days ago. Going into town to get some substrate and I plan to start putting things all together over the next few days. Plan on staying pretty simple with sponge filters, medium lighting using T8 tubes and lots of rock work. Plants will also be simple with Java Ferns, mosses, and some crypts.

I only have maybe 10 shrimp to start my colony with but there are a couple berried females so far. I'll be adding some more genes to the pot soon as well.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Not much as far as pictures but this is about all that's going on at the moment...

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Started painting the back and sides of the tank black and I DIY'ed a shop light for the tank that should put me around medium lighting according to the chart. Here is a little write up on the DIY light....

Not really a serious DIY, just a simple modification. I thought I'd throw this up in case anyone else is looking for a inexpensive lighting option for a 40B or other 36" tank.

I had on hand an old 48" shop light I was using on my 75g before switching to T5. I found some 36" bulbs in 6500k at my local Lowes. After not being able to find a suitable fixture for those bulbs, I decided I would make my old fixture work.

So I got the bulbs and once home, I disassembled one end of the shop light. I installed the bulbs so that I could get a proper measurement where the end-cap needed moved to.

Marked the fixture, took it outside and drew a straight line all the way across.

Using my angle grinder and a cutoff disc, I made short work of the fixture. Don't forget to wear your safety glasses.

Fitted the end-cap and a few pop rivets and it is nice a secure.

Cut the wiring down to length, soldered the connections, and used heat shrink tubing to make sure the connection was good.

Finally, installed the bulbs and fired it up.

So there you have it, a little DIY, less than $20, and you can have a decent medium level light over your 40B.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Quiet in here.

Anyways....

One step closer, tank is painted though it's a really crappy job. Not sure what happened but seems there are spots on the tank that didn't accept the paint despite cleaning it well with alcohol. I'll have to touch them up later or use black tape to cover up the spots.

I also played around with my main rock of focus, my Oyaishi rock if you will. I have a few supporting rocks too, just didn't bring them in. I might go out and see if I can find anything else that would work better. But here is a quick shot of what I have to work with. I am debating on doing a Iwagumi style hardscape keeping nice and simple or building a kinda cliff type layout with a nice high shelf in the left corner built up behind the main rock and a retaining wall of other rocks. This shelf would extend from the back to about halfway to the front and from the left side to about mid tank. I have some ideas on how to make the shelf but I need to get into town to check the availability of supplies. Anyways, quick shot of my Oyaishi rock....

Don't mind the dirty glass and little bit of substrate. I just added enough to cover the bottom glass so I could get a better idea how things would look. There will be a lot more substrate in there when it's all finished.

Regular
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks

You should be able to breed a LOT of yellows with a tank that size. Especially if there aren't predators.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

That's what I'm hoping......I have 3 berried girls already just waiting to get into their new home.

Only other thing I might consider would be some ottos if I find I have the algae to support them. So the shrimp will have complete safe haven in this tank.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    That's what I'm hoping......I have 3 berried girls already just waiting to get into their new home.

Only other thing I might consider would be some ottos if I find I have the algae to support them. So the shrimp will have complete safe haven in this tank.
    I've had shrimp tanks with Otto's in and although they are perfectly safe fish to keep with shrimp, their fierce appetite for algae leaves the tank kind of sterile.

My shrimplets survival rate is higher where i have patches of brown algae on the glass. Otto's would clean this off.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

hmmm...that's definitely something to think about. Thanks for bringing that up.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Have some organic maple leaves in there for the shrimplets, it helps!

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Thanks. Maple leave should be easy enough to find but trees like oak are SO much more abundant. Do you think Maple leaves are better? I did want to add some leaf litter and I want to add some to my 75g but I keep forgetting to collect some. I don't want to use leaves from my yard because I live right in town and don't trust them to be clean.

Thread Information