Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Shrimp All Dying

Audrina

Default Tiger Shrimp All Dying

Hey everyone.

I have a tank that has cycled for 6 weeks, all levels are 0, my pH is 6 ... yesterday I added 7 tiger shrimp to the tank, four have died.

I saw one swimming around before so I know that one is ok but I don't know if it'll stay that way. ALL the shrimp when I have found them dead are really red around the head area and I have no idea what is going on. Any help?

Country
    Spain
    Thanks
    Images

Are your Gh and Kh levels at 0?

Audrina

According to my test kit my gH indicates 10 dh and my kH is 0.
    From what I learned and I don't know if this is different for tiger shrimp, 6-(some other number I can't remember right now that's higher than ten ) is the ideal range for freshwater aquariums.

Audrina

Anyone? I just had another one die, I have one left and a package of Orange Eye Blue Tigers on their way.

Regular
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

How is your pH 6? Active soil? CO2? Do you have any other shrimp in the tank to see if its the shrimp or the tank? Did you just put them in or do a slow drip with them? If they came from water, say at 7.4 and your tank is 6, I would think you need a really long drip to give them time to adjust to the low pH. Too short can be a shock.

Audrina

At this point, they have all died so I'm trying to raise my pH before the Orange Eye Blue tigers come. I'm not sure how my pH is so low, I dose with Eexcel but I think I'm going to stop in this tank. Just today I did a 50% water change, only adjusted the pH from my tap water once (it comes out at like 8+) and the pH is still so low.

I did slow drip them but within 24 hours they have all died. They were active when they were added into the tank and died over hours. All that's in the tank are plants, driftwood, Flourish Black (is that who makes it?) that's it.

Also, my unkillable amano? Dead. I was just watching the tank and it folded in half and died. No clue what's going on.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Excel, does it have copper?

Audrina

No, Excel is a liquid CO2 which I'm going to stop using in that tank. Since it's totally empty now I did a 50% water change and got my pH up to 6.6. I'm going to do another one and another one until it gets into the 7.7 range which is the range where the Orange Eyes are coming from.

Since this tank is used, I emailed the original owner who has never used any kind of medication in the tank so I know it's not a copper issue. I'm going to get another amano today and see how it does. Any other ideas guys? I really don't want my shrimp to die.

Regular
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Sounds like it was the Excel. Lots of people have had issues with it and shrimp. I use like less than half a dose a few times a week just to give the plants in the tanks a little something something but but nowhere near a full dose, or every other day or anything. Sounds like that could have been it. And its not really liquid co2, its a chemical though that the plants can use instead of co2.

Audrina

Yes I'm aware it's not actually liquid co2, but I have blyxa in the tank and it'll die without it. I've been using minimal doses every other day but I'm going to stop dosing all together and move the blyxa. Hopefully that'll help.

I don't know how the Excel killed the amano though which is what really puzzles me, I have amanos in other tanks with it and they do just fine.

Thread Information