Thread: Can Sulawesi really work in Singapore waters?

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Default Can Sulawesi really work in Singapore waters?

Anyone here have been keeping Sulawesi long enough as a hobby?

I've had them for about 2 months plus, and I had my fair share of deaths, though it's getting more stable now with lesser deaths...but no breeding yet.

I'm upgrading to a bigger tank, about 29 litres, and am contemplating to move my current Sulawesi gang over...

1. Sulawesi needs specific tank specs, once it's done, you need to tear down the whole setup if you intend to change to other species, say CRS for eg, so if I intend to continue with my Sulawesi project, it has got to be long-term.

I know our waters here in Singapore is soft, is it really practical to continue with Sulawesi, knowing how sensitive they are, and the kind of water they need in captivity is preferred to be at optimum.

2. Breeding rate is rather slow, hence, every now and then, in order to maintain a number of population, we have to dig into our pockets to replenish the stocks.

Has anyone really kept them long enough?

Thanks for sharing!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiex09 View Post
    Anyone here have been keeping Sulawesi long enough as a hobby?

I've had them for about 2 months plus, and I had my fair share of deaths, though it's getting more stable now with lesser deaths...but no breeding yet.

I'm upgrading to a bigger tank, about 29 litres, and am contemplating to move my current Sulawesi gang over...

1. Sulawesi needs specific tank specs, once it's done, you need to tear down the whole setup if you intend to change to other species, say CRS for eg, so if I intend to continue with my Sulawesi project, it has got to be long-term.

I know our waters here in Singapore is soft, is it really practical to continue with Sulawesi, knowing how sensitive they are, and the kind of water they need in captivity is preferred to be at optimum.

2. Breeding rate is rather slow, hence, every now and then, in order to maintain a number of population, we have to dig into our pockets to replenish the stocks.

Has anyone really kept them long enough?

Thanks for sharing!
    If you are worried about keeping them because of your tap water which is soft as i have heard from other forum members here to, our over here is worst i think with GH and KH 0 and TDS of 10 LOL... My sulawesi still thriving and breeds like rabbits, stability of water parameters is the key my friend. Also why worry about soft water when you can just use crushed corals and minerals?

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MananaP View Post
    If you are worried about keeping them because of your tap water which is soft as i have heard from other forum members here to, our over here is worst i think with GH and KH 0 and TDS of 10 LOL... My sulawesi still thriving and breeds like rabbits, stability of water parameters is the key my friend. Also why worry about soft water when you can just use crushed corals and minerals?
    Yes, I've got crushed corals and minerals, which I read whould be able to help.
    But because the information and guides on Sulawesi shrimps are way too limited and outdated, the information I researched are like past 2-3 years back old, hence, everything is like a 'trial & error' experience for me now...

I've read that some hobbyist, where for a start everything looks positive and even succeeded in having some berried, but after 3 months, no more news....and that's it...

So I would really like to hear from some hobbyist who've had them for long enough to give some advise or encouragement...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Images

Yes, I've got crushed corals and minerals, which I read whould be able to help.
    But because the information and guides on Sulawesi shrimps are way too limited and outdated, the information I researched are like past 2-3 years back old, hence, everything is like a 'trial & error' experience for me now...

I've read that some hobbyist, where for a start everything looks positive and even succeeded in having some berried, but after 3 months, no more news....and that's it...

So I would really like to hear from some hobbyist who've had them for long enough to give some advise or encouragement...
    Is a year enough? The breeder that i got this from i think he had it for 2 years. What exactly are you looking to get an answer with? This hobby is about trial and error, keep in mind also some might work for others and might not work for you. This what works best for me TDS 400-450 GH 8 KH 8 temp 26-28c, hope that helps...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MananaP For This Useful Post:

imke_j (26th Aug 2011)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MananaP View Post
    Is a year enough? The breeder that i got this from i think he had it for 2 years. What exactly are you looking to get an answer with? This hobby is about trial and error, keep in mind also some might work for others and might not work for you. This what works best for me TDS 400-450 GH 8 KH 8 temp 26-28c, hope that helps...
    Thank you...
    I'm not really looking at any specific answers, just hoping to read some experiences of how and what other experienced Sulawesi keepers are going through...
    From there, i can get myself some guides as well..

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Images

Thank you...
    I'm not really looking at any specific answers, just hoping to read some experiences of how and what other experienced Sulawesi keepers are going through...
    From there, i can get myself some guides as well..
    NP, happy to help a fellow hobbyist and good luck with your new quest i hope you will succeed on it and please don't be shy to share photos and videos of your tank hehehehe...

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

I just transferred to my bigger tank. Will post pics once its ready

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

lost in space?

Thread Information