Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Shrimps not surviving

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Country
    Singapore
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Unhappy Shrimps not surviving

    My cherry shrimps are not surviving in my tank.
    With such hardy shrimps and yet they never survive, I am really not sure what is the problem. I need advice and help.

    A 2 months old 3 feet tank with a driftwood. Plants are only spike/peacock moss. A canister filter with sponge, bio rings and activated carbon.

    When the lights are on, co2 is provided with one bubble per 2 seconds.

    Water changes around 10 to 20% weekly. Tap water is treated with sera aqutan left overnight.

    water temp = 25-28 degree celsius
    ph = 7.0 -7.2 (reduced by using seachem ph5.0 discus buffer that will reduce ph as well as soften the water)
    Kh = ? (Going to get a test kit by this week)
    Gh = ? (Going to get a test kit by this week)
    Ammonia = 0

    Guys i requires some help over here.
    What's the problem might cause the death?
    What's the recommend ph, gh and kh?
    Is it ok to use bio rings and activated carbon as filter media?

  2. #2
    Senior
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    United_States
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ultraman
    My cherry shrimps are not surviving in my tank.
    With such hardy shrimps and yet they never survive, I am really not sure what is the problem. I need advice and help.

    A 2 months old 3 feet tank with a driftwood. Plants are only spike/peacock moss. A canister filter with sponge, bio rings and activated carbon.

    When the lights are on, co2 is provided with one bubble per 2 seconds.

    Water changes around 10 to 20% weekly. Tap water is treated with sera aqutan left overnight.

    water temp = 25-28 degree celsius
    ph = 7.0 -7.2 (reduced by using seachem ph5.0 discus buffer that will reduce ph as well as soften the water)
    Kh = ? (Going to get a test kit by this week)
    Gh = ? (Going to get a test kit by this week)
    Ammonia = 0

    Guys i requires some help over here.
    What's the problem might cause the death?
    What's the recommend ph, gh and kh?
    Is it ok to use bio rings and activated carbon as filter media?
    Are you dosing anything that has copper in it? I do not see anything wrong with your parameters. I would not use the seachem discuss softener for the purpose of acidifying the water. In my experience those products cause unwanted swings in ph. What ph you have in your tap water? I have breed cherries in ph of 7.6. What is your nitrite, nitrate levels?

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Country
    Singapore
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Oh. im not dosing anything other using the water conditioner. my tap water is around 7.5 ph. I'll try to get the no3 and no4 test kits once i have the cash to do so. I wonder is it the nitrite or nitrate be the culprit.

    Will high gh or low gh affects the death of the shrimps? How about high kh?

    As for the seachem softener, i use it to reduce the ph bit by bit. It took me nearly a week to pull down the ph.

  4. #4
    Senior gr81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    Czech_Republic
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 36 Times in 28 Posts
    Images
    7

    Default

    Really, It's very serious to know NO2, NO3 in your water.
    Other thing, If shrimps are not surviving, try stop using any chemistry. Remove Carbon and other thing expect sponge from your filter. Replace water slowly and after some time try shrimps again.
    But first check NO2/NO3 level and Cu if possible.

  5. #5
    Senior
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Country
    Singapore
    Posts
    237
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Images
    51

    Default

    High Nitrate dont kill shrimps. Even at more than 50ppm. I suspect your filter media haven't mature yet and don't have enough BB since Ammonia is 0ppm most likely Nitrite is the killer.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Country
    Singapore
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spinex
    High Nitrate dont kill shrimps. Even at more than 50ppm. I suspect your filter media haven't mature yet and don't have enough BB since Ammonia is 0ppm most likely Nitrite is the killer.
    wa! high nitrate also doesnt kill shrimps? I'll try to get a nitrite test kit once i'm free to go to purchase one.

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Country
    Singapore
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Oh, yesterday i just checked my nitrite and nitrate. My nitrite is 0.3 mg/L as for my nitrate is 12.5mg/L . So is this very high? I really not sure what's the problem if nitrite is not the culprit...

  8. #8
    Senior gr81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    Czech_Republic
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 36 Times in 28 Posts
    Images
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ultraman
    Oh, yesterday i just checked my nitrite and nitrate. My nitrite is 0.3 mg/L as for my nitrate is 12.5mg/L . So is this very high? I really not sure what's the problem if nitrite is not the culprit...
    , nitrite is very, very high. That really should kill your shrimp. It seems biofiltration is not working well. How old is that tank? NO2 need to be uncheckable (0.0)

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Country
    Singapore
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gr81
    , nitrite is very, very high. That really should kill your shrimp. It seems biofiltration is not working well. How old is that tank? NO2 need to be uncheckable (0.0)

    you mean 0.3mg/L for nitrite is very high? My tank is 2 months plus for now.

  10. #10
    Senior gr81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    Czech_Republic
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 36 Times in 28 Posts
    Images
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ultraman
    u mean 0.3mg/L for nitrite is very high? my tank is 2 months plus for now.
    Yes 0.3 is killing. What filter do you use? Have you there some fishs? What about plants?
    My NO2 test can check only 0.0-0.25mg/L, your concentration is out of range

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •