Thread: CRS - Urgent help needed

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default CRS - Urgent help needed

I had a planted crystal red shrimps tank up and running for last 8 months. Tank specs -
    20 Gallon with 50-60 CRS. All were very active and healthy. Reached adulthood and a lot of females were having eggs and seen few babies also

plants - Java Moss and Rotala Nanjenshan
    temp - room temp , no heater ( 65-70 F )
    pH - 6.2 to 6.8
    ammonia - less than .25 ppm
    I do 25% water change every week

Problem -
    In last couple of weeks i lost all my CRS with 1-2 shrimps dying everyday and remaining ones not eating at all. Trying to find what may have gone wrong -

Few weeks back i changed my filter pad and put "Nitrate remover cut to filter pad" in it.
    After some time i noticed that my plants were dying so i started removing dead portions from tank.
    Can it happen that Nitrate remover filter pad starved plants ( which were very healthy and growing fast earlier ) and plants started dying. it may have increased ammonia and because beneficial bacteria were low in the tank due to it being heavily planted could not catch up and ultimately killed by CRS.
    When i saw the problem, i removed nitrate removal pad, replaced it with carbon pad, did water 25% changes daily treated with Amquel plus and put stress Zyme in the tank but situation is not improving and now only 4-5 CRS are left.
    Anybody experienced this situation or think my analysis is correct

Cipher

hey... umm if you have the tank up and running for 8 months i don't get why ammonia is present at all, if a tank is that old ammonia should be zero. I guess you could say ammonia is killing them off? CRS are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrates aswell.

In the filter, what are the filter media's? probably you killed off the bacteria in the filter when you cleaned it which caused a mini cycle in the tank which explains why you have ammonia in the tanK.

Regular
    Country
    Ireland
    Thanks

Can i ask why did u change your mature filter pad. Never change these, only lightly squeeze out when flow in filter is greatly reduced. As Cipher said a mini cycle probably happened along with the dying plants which caused spikes which were detrimental to the sensitive CRS. Chin up, we all make mistakes but we can learn from them.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Yes i realize that changing filter media was a mistake. but i have 2 pads in the filter - one at the inlet (normal foam filter cartridge without carbon) so that shrimps can be safe and not sucked up and second is in the filter (which was having carbon but later changed to nitrate remover) . I just changed the one in the filter itself leaving the inlet pad intact. I guess enough bacteria should be there in the second pad.
    My water was always perfect before introduction of this nitrate pad.
    My main question was it a mistake to use "Nitrate remover filter pads" in the planted aquarium. I am guessing that in the planted aquarium, some ammonia , nitrite and nitrate are used by plants itself so there should not be much left for beneficial bacteria so they will be low in quantity ( compared to other established aquariums) but in equilibrium .
    Now, by putting nitrate remover pad, i think i starved plants and they started dying and released ammonia. Since the tank was already low in beneficial bacteria it was not able to catchup. .. Can this be reason.
    But, more confusing part is that i used a lot of Amquel plus ( to remove ammonia and other stuff ) and did 25% water changes daily and used stress zyme to add beneficial bacteria but death rate remained the same.
    Even i put the few remaining one in my other old tank yesterday and most of them are already dead now.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

I think it is more likely that something changed in your source water supply. Have you tested your water right out of the tap for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates lately?
    I wouldn't think low nitrates would kill your rotala that quickly and should do little more than slow the growth of your java moss. Was your rotala getting red at the tips before it started dying? That can be an indicator of low nitrates with that plant. Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I know it can be very frustrating to lose shrimp when you seem to be doing everything right.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

You are very right. I never thought that ammonia can come from tap water also. I just now checked my tap water and its 1.0 mg/L which is very high.
    Although i was treating my water by putting Amquel plus with 2x quantity and aging it overnight but i think it was not removing it completely as water in my tank was giving the reading between 0.1 and 0.25 mg/L.
    My frequent water changes of 25% daily to get rid of this situation was in fact making the problem worse. That explains why my shrimps were dying almost daily.
    And also this explains why my other 2 tanks with Angels started mini cycle. They are stable now without any loss of fishes but all my snails died.
    This city water killed my $1200 worth of CRS .. I am really very much frustrated as earlier i thought it happened due to my mistake of putting nitrate remover pad.

Thanks so much for your help in directing me to test tap water.

Thread Information