Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S.Korea CRS

CrystalMethShrimp

Default S.Korea CRS

Hey guys, just thought I'd share what i've found in s.korea.
    I went to 2 stores thus far

fishaholic
    feelaqua

The first store didn't have much inventory and even his JPRL $250 were lacking in white intensity.
    The latter store's owner was very nice in answering many questions and had amazing JPRL's and even the $60 SS mixed ones had thick white color and white legs!. removed
    I think I speak for everyone here when I say there's nothing sexier then 4 pairs of skinny opaque white legs. His S/S+ ($30) even has thick whites which really shows the quality of Japanese breed CRS (these are off spings of Japanese breed crs) In fact these are a Korea brand which have not been crossed with golden for a few generations now. I took my time examining the tanks and I did not find any with red eyes/head patterns. In fact a few S/S+ even had red/white legs.

I've yet to bring up the first few questions about survival rate but I will ask next time. The following are his replies to my "interview" translated from korean =D

-I never do water changes, just top up.
    -I feed everyday in small quantities to keep the water clean and I feed mostly spinach with some crs food.
    -They prefer a low temp of 24-25 this is why I have the A/C on 24/7 during summer month.
    -For breeding, the male will transfer most of the genes.
    -It is not a good idea to cross the off spring with the parent for selective breeding. This form of inbreeding will lead to health issues.
    -The best size to ship/transfer crs is above 1cm.
    -When setting up a shrimp tank, layer it with soil powder on bottom then substrate then powder again. This can prolong the life of substrate by 50%.
    This will also make the substrate more dense making it difficult for H2S to escape if the tank was agitated.
    -They can survive off of bio film but the reason why we feed them is because they sometimes lack specific vitamins and nutrients that are not found naturally in fresh water tanks. Veggie based foods help enhance colors (beta carotene helps with red while high mineral levels and bright lights help white intensity) meat based foods increase growth rate and mating rates but it's dangerous to health if over fed.
    -Don't use too many products in your tank unless you fully understand how it works. The most important equipment is a good filter.

So far i've decided to pick up the Korean brand S/S+ and SS. The are very stunning but two factors deter me. 1st the price is $150-$300 each. 2nd when I did a close comparison, the Korean crs appear very close, nearly +80% identical. I will show you guys pics for you to decide. It just seems like a very good deal to me. They might turn yellowish or pinkish when they get old but for the 500% price difference these will still be some of the most beautiful crs I've seen.
    I'm also excited to say they have shrimp soil for around $60 9L bag. Before I left the owner gave me 2 free crs key chain toys
    removed
    and a bottle of food valued at over $60 and I didn't even buy a single thing.

And will be visiting this one tomorrow.
    /hanaaqua

I will upload photos as soon as I can but essentially I'm beginning to see a few patterns with these stores.

-The prices are all stable with every store. They don't under cut each other.
    -They all use t5h0 lights with 1 blue actinic bulb to show the white better.
    -The sponge filter outlet/spray bars are all at water level, not under water, thus they produce surface agitation and add o2.
    -They don't change their water.
    -Every tank has these balls inside even the JRPL.
    These mineral balls are made in Japan and slowly releases minerals while at the same time provide surface area for bacterium to grow.

removed
    Last edited by imke_j; 15th Jul 2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: removed links to (online) shops

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CrystalMethShrimp For This Useful Post:

Regular
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

Nice write up man. That's totally Asian style of shrimp keeping. Overfilteration w/ no WC. Are they using UGF or just straight canister? Keep up the updates...inquiring minds want to know...

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

What type of water do they top of with? Ro?

Regular
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks

i Have 6 CRS pinkish on the white. WHAT is it mean.
    i try to find the answer regard the pinkish. it like never discussed!!! hopefully to see your pic.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

I noticed two of my CRS also have a pink color to them (on the white).

Country
    Australia-Aboriginal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by powerreef View Post
    i Have 6 CRS pinkish on the white. WHAT is it mean.
    i try to find the answer regard the pinkish. it like never discussed!!! hopefully to see your pic.
    CRS often get this "blush" as they get older. Kinda like grey hair on people. If they have the gold gene, the white goes strawberries & cream. CBS get black mottles and look quite ugly IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by gourmettea View Post
    Nice write up man. That's totally Asian style of shrimp keeping. Overfilteration w/ no WC. Are they using UGF or just straight canister? Keep up the updates...inquiring minds want to know...
    2nd that - great write up. But where are the pics?

CrystalMethShrimp

Pink and yellow hues comes from crs that aren't pure bred aka pure red line.
    Theyre parents, grandparents, great grand parents ect ect were possibly a crs x golden bee.

Not a health issue.

I can't load pics as this Korean house locked out photo bucket. but check out my link. I have this posted with more details and pics.

CrystalMethShrimp

They use canister only with no ugf.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalMethShrimp View Post
    Pink and yellow hues comes from crs that aren't pure bred aka pure red line.
    Theyre parents, grandparents, great grand parents ect ect were possibly a crs x golden bee.

Not a health issue.

I can't load pics as this Korean house locked out photo bucket. but check out my link. I have this posted with more details and pics.

If you been to the original places, you will see even his tank will have shrimps of different hue. However, Of course and when they come to display or selling, they will remove the not so nice one, cull them or even drop them into their special project tank, breeding a intensified yellow or intensified pink CRS.

Aged and different water condition give shrimps a different hue. And photography remove shrimps with different hue. It is not neccessary got something to do with golden genes. And CRS with golden genes can look nicer then a cheap PRL.

Is thiis suppose to be a field report??? But where are the pictures???

CrystalMethShrimp

I'll put up some pics next week.

Silane, you made a very good point about high quality crs with golden genes looking better then low quality JPRL. This was the case with the JPRL from the first store compared to the Korean branded crs.

I'm really excited to show you guys these $60 ss crs.
    They have very thick white shells and white legs.

As for hue I had no idea it was affected by water quality. I mean, I know bad water parameters can cause the white and red to lose intensity but I didnt know it could affect the pink or yellow hue.
    Would you mind explaining that point silane?

Thread Information