Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In-line Filtration

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkong View Post
    Hi mananaP,

Please share your experience and thoughts!
    I want to connect the prefilter to the outlet tube of the undergravel filter. Then connect it to the 2 eheim 2224. This is indeed to create extra surface for bacteria growth. I thought this was the same purpose for the topbreeders. But if you have other ideas please share.

First i wanted to put up a small 1 ft tank right next to my main tank and fill this up with k1 kaldnes media. I would let the outlet of the eheim run into this small tank and use another eheim to pump it into my main tank. But if 1 eheim breaksdown my small tank would run over.
    This was my first idea but you are more then welcome to shape up the idea.

First i wanted a shrimprack with 12 tanks but Imke advised me to concentrate on 1 or 2 high quality tanks rather then 12 mediocre tanks. And as we can see, topbreeders are also using these amounts.
    Its more cOst effective for me to put in the money in 1 or 2 tanks with great filtration.
    I shared a little of my experience already in my previous post, as i said there are many ways to have optimum bacteria in the tank without having 3-4 canisters connected in series because as i mentioned i have done this years back and have not noticed a noticeable difference in terms of breeding. If you want cost effective then i would suggest 1 big canister in each tank and just add air driven sponges to have even more bacteria. Top breeders that Imke is referring to are those breeders who sells their shrimps for premium price(PLR's) and yes this is correct if you are talking about each shrimp costing into thousands of dollars then it is best to invest thousands of dollars also in equipment. However if you are not doing PLR's that cost you a fortune then one canister per tank is sufficient, i have canisters which is rated 100-150gallon tanks used in 20g tanks...

Your idea is not bad but running each canister in series is a NO-NO, you are missing the point all together. The main reason of the series of canisters is more water thus more stable tank and more bacteria house and less cleaning to be done also means less stress to the shrimps. If you decide to run canisters in series you will only run ONE of the canisters and i would prefer to use the strongest in all of them in terms of how much they are rated for. As i said it is useless to run 3-4 perfectly usable canisters if you are not breeding very expensive shrimps. I want to also point out that in asia you can get just canister housing which they are probably using without the motor etc, they are probably using just the canister housing in my opinion.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MananaP For This Useful Post:

imke_j (21st Aug 2011), maxgl68 (30th Oct 2011)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Thanks a lot mananap!

It would be useless when i use 3 good canisters only for extra space. Indeed i would think of your diy method. Did you created yourself? It looks pretty good to me.

Can you tell me more about your diy?

Im trying to keep taiwan bees.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkong View Post
    Thanks a lot mananap!

It would be useless when i use 3 good canisters only for extra space. Indeed i would think of your diy method. Did you created yourself? It looks pretty good to me.

Can you tell me more about your diy?

Im trying to keep taiwan bees.
    The concept is easy, i just use one of those betta box and drilled a hole to channel all the air from the air stone which is in the bottom connected to an air pump. Also stuffed it with Eheim substrat pro. Bacteria needs air, also i want to point out some breeders go to extreme and drill a hole on their canisters and connect a tube which is connected to an air pump to pump air into the canister...

avex30

Quote Originally Posted by matblack View Post
    I use a pre-filter infront of my 2217 ,works well and i haven't touched it for 6 months

Also have one of these and works very well
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wow Matt can tell me where you find that ToTTo prefilter?? heard they are close no longer in production can you pm me??

Danimals

I'm not quite getting it...what's the point of running all those filters inline? Wouldn't it be far more effective (bacteria capacity) and cheaper to drill your tank and DIY a wet/dry solution?
    That and why do you need pre-filters that are actual physical chambers? Wouldn't a simple sponge over the intake do a better job at preserving shrimp fry and keeping them out of the filter?

I've never seen anything like this done before so please forgive me for coming off as dense but it looks grossly inefficient to me.

Shrimp Pimp
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

wet dry filter is fine too

I run canisters in series because it is easier for me to store the dummy canisters and more convenient than a sump.

And the pre-filter isn't to protect shrimp, it's just a container to hold more media.

You would freak out if you saw my filter setups for my tanks. The lower the pH, the more media is necessary because the bacteria become less efficient the lower the pH. My taiwan bee tank has pH of 5, and has 5 inches of substrate over a UGF, UGF is connected to prefilter full of bio media, prefilter is connected to large canister filter full of bio media. Also 2 large air powered sponge filters inside the tank for aeration and additional biomedia. So far, many many shrimplets

Regular
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Am I correct in assuming that people are intentionally keeping the system pressurized primarily in order to avoid the overflow/return issues that are part of using a sump?

Or is there some chemical or biological benefit to designing the system as a high volume canister system rather than an overflow/sump/return system?

Shrimp Pimp
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

I've never used a sump so I cannot give you the pros/cons. Although since the overflow would definitely need some sort of prefilter on it, which may prevent water flowing back down into the sump, and could possibly lead to flooding?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
    wet dry filter is fine too

I run canisters in series because it is easier for me to store the dummy canisters and more convenient than a sump.

And the pre-filter isn't to protect shrimp, it's just a container to hold more media.

You would freak out if you saw my filter setups for my tanks. The lower the pH, the more media is necessary because the bacteria become less efficient the lower the pH. My taiwan bee tank has pH of 5, and has 5 inches of substrate over a UGF, UGF is connected to prefilter full of bio media, prefilter is connected to large canister filter full of bio media. Also 2 large air powered sponge filters inside the tank for aeration and additional biomedia. So far, many many shrimplets
    Oh i would love to see your filtration system my friend. Pictures please... hehehehe

Shrimp Pimp
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

Sorry for bad pics:

substrate depth (UGF + 2 gallons of seachem matrix + 2kg ceramic bio media + 9 liters africana + 3 liters mr. aqua)

sponge filter with extended uplift tube on each side of tank:

30 gallon tank, about 300 gallons worth of filtration, haha

Thread Information