Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Cherry Shrimps ate my Crystal Red Shrimp

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Images

Unhappy Red Cherry Shrimps ate my Crystal Red Shrimp

I came home today to find just the tail of my CRS Double Hinomaru male shrimp There was a gang of male RCS feasting on it, couldn't find the rest.

This is the 3rd shrimp I've lost in the past couple of weeks, I had 6 CRS now only 3.

11/06/2011: 1x dead female adult CRS with moulting band behind head.
    13/06/2011: 1x male died slowly, was slow and lethargic, fell over on side dead.
    17/06/2011: 1x tail of male found.

Other female & male CRS Hinomaru are fine & so is the 3rd really ugly deformed CRS hunchback grade (which I wish would drop dead, but won't)

Shrimp moved in 07/06/2011.

Water: RO + remineralised
    PH: 6.72 - 6.89
    GH: 4
    KH: <1
    NH3: 0
    NO3: 5
    NO2: 0
    CO2: none
    O2: Airstone run at night.
    Temp: 23.5c
    TDS: 155
    Filter: Dennerle Nano Corner XL
    2nd Filter: (added today) Huey Hung Double Sponge 120L
    Tank: 60L Dennerle Nano Cube
    Tank community: 15 male RCS, 3 CRS, 2 Pitbull Plecos.
    Soil: 4cm Fluval Shrimp Substrate
    Plants: Java fern, fire moss, various others.
    Ornaments: 2 stacks of 6 ceramic shrimp hidey holes.
    Fertiliser: Easylife Profito & EasyCarbo
    Food: Shirakura Ebi Dama, Hikari Shimp Cuisine, Spinach, Shirakura Chi Ebi (fed every 2nd day).

I'm very concerned as I'm committed to an order of a few expensive CRS arriving in 3 weeks or so...

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Hi there,
    Just trying to give my humble opinions as the below mention might be/ might not be the reasons
    1) First of all, is your tank properly cycled and how long had you been cycling? Proper cycling is a MUST
    2) I personally don't keep plecos/ otos etc with my shrimp tank. Personally finds that any fish inside will basically add stress to the shrimps.
    3) Initially, my shrimp tank oso had a nitrate lvl(NO3) of ard 5 and I observed that shrimps died every few days. Thus I do more frequent Water Change of abt 20% every 3 days. Intro a fairly large amt of frogbits and the lvl was brought to 0, shrimps stop dying after this.
    4) Able to have a full tank shot of your tank? Just wanna see what are the plants you have, btw, most fertilizers are not recommended for shrimps tanks as they contain highly concentrated amt of heavy metals. If contain copper, it will be toxic to the shrimps. Having a planted tank with shrimps are nice, but maybe you wan to look into mainly/ purely mosses as these req minimum attention.
    5) Since you are expecting the arrival of higher grade CRS, maybe yo can try getting an external canister filter. This canister filter can house more filter medias and housing medias for bacterias. It actually provides a better water quality than using sponge filter alone.
    6) Propose that you bring down ur pH lvl to ard 6.4, higher grade CRS are more sensitive to water parameters. Think yours is abit too high.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to patson77 For This Useful Post:

Bedfordshire (18th Jun 2011)

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

*Message deleted*
    When i die make sure my wife sells my shrimp for what they are worth, not what i told her they are worth.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Images

Thanks for help.

I think it's been cycled for about 4 weeks I'll check exact time when home.

Got the sponge filter in there now, so maybe that will help, it's rated for 120L.

I'm at a loss as to how to lower PH more?

Maybe alder cones, I do have one big Catappa leaf in there though.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Images

Might move the CRS back to there 7.6L little tank where I managed to breed 3 babies (3mm now), but it's PH 7.3. At least till I work out problem in big one.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

You can lower the ph with either Beni-bachi fulvic grain or black water
    When i die make sure my wife sells my shrimp for what they are worth, not what i told her they are worth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dincho For This Useful Post:

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Images

Hi, will try but I'm sure that's not what's killing them as they were fine in PH 7.3 and breeding.

Must be cycling cycling yes, no?

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Images

Oh, forgot to say I do a 20% water change every 3 days too.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Hi there,
    In that case, maybe its down to the fertilizer? Whats the content of the fertilizer? Had did a search on the web, n its said to contain high concentration of heavy metals. As i had mention earlier, fertilizer are at most time, unfriendly to the shrimps. I tried using fertilizer for my old tank, but the dosage was abt 1/2 or 1/3 of the recommended. Had totally stopped using ferts after I moved on to more higher and sensitive shrimps.

However, will personally still recommend you to use external canister filter. To me, the sponge filter and the corner filter XL does not and will not housed enough bacteria required for the nitrification process.

As for the nitrate lvl, maybe you can intro frogbits or duckweeds as they are very easy going plants and is always thirsty for nitrates.

For bringing down the pH lvl, one easy way I did was to minimize surface agitation. Since your pH is not that extremely high, you might want to give this method a try. How this work is --------------------------- CO2 is always released by the bioload in the tank. Plants not going thru photos period will release CO2 also. As such, due to the presence of the CO2, the pH lvl of the water will be low unless you had some stuffs in the water to buffer the pH. However, CO2 is easily dispersed by strong water movements and lots of surface agitation, these form of surface agitation comes from (in your case) the air stone, the sponge filter and the corner filter. You can continue to use the above, but maybe adjust the flow rate until you achieved a rather gentle flow. This is a more natural way to bring down the pH lvl. Other alternatives are, introducing CO2 (not recommended as you have strong surface agitation) and introducing Driftwood.

Hope the above helps. If shrimps are still dying almost every alternate days. You might want to consider tearing down the tank and restart everything again.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to patson77 For This Useful Post:

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Images

I think i need a good external then, any recommendations for one that will not break the bank, I wish I had not spent 20 on filter media replacements fit the Dennerle Nano Clean Corner XL

Thread Information