Thread: I have 7 shrimp, but only ever see 2!

dugrant153

Default I have 7 shrimp, but only ever see 2!

I have a large piece of driftwood in my 2 gallon shrimp/semi-planted tank. The cool thing is that it makes for a very natural habitat for them, and I'm sure they appreciate all the cover and shade.

The problem is that I never see them! Occasionally I'll see 1 or 2 grazing or lying on the driftwood, but the rest have hidden so well that ... well, I just never see them!

Is this typical behaviour of shrimp?
    and how can I coax them out? even when I put an algae wafer in the tank. Only 2 come out.

Country
    Czech_Republic
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153
    I have a large piece of driftwood in my 2 gallon shrimp/semi-planted tank. The cool thing is that it makes for a very natural habitat for them, and I'm sure they appreciate all the cover and shade.

The problem is that I never see them! Occasionally I'll see 1 or 2 grazing or lying on the driftwood, but the rest have hidden so well that ... well, I just never see them!

Is this typical behaviour of shrimp?
    and how can I coax them out? even when I put an algae wafer in the tank. Only 2 come out.
    Are you sure that all of your shrimps live still? Maybe you have last two .
    Shrimps are hiding thats normal. Some species more some less.

dugrant153

yeah, I moved some stuff around and found a few of them. They like hiding under logs for the most part.

I'm just wondering if there's something that they'll go nuts over and just come out of their hiding spots once they small it. (I know dead fish would make them wild, but I don't have access to dead fish. Nor do I want to pollute the water).

Country
    Czech_Republic
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153
    yeah, I moved some stuff around and found a few of them. They like hiding under logs for the most part.

I'm just wondering if there's something that they'll go nuts over and just come out of their hiding spots once they small it. (I know dead fish would make them wild, but I don't have access to dead fish. Nor do I want to pollute the water).
    What to add more shrimps? I had 3 RCS in 1g tank, and they were always hidden, now I add 5 more and all are touring over tank

dugrant153

I did add more to my tank. I think it's my setup too. some are probably touring, but in the more obscure and dark areas of the tank.

But do they tour even without the presence of a food tablet?

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Maybe show a picture of your tank may help.

Don't feed them for 1 day, they should be all out for food when next time you feed them.

dugrant153

I think they chow down on the java moss when I don't feed them hehe
    ah well. I'll take that picture as soon as I can. I'm re-scaping the tank, though, with a smaller piece of driftwood since the one I have in their is meant for 20 gallon tanks (tried to jam it in to look like a root).

also, I saw about 4 alive at one time. so they're out there. I'm sure I could account for all 6 if I moved all the plants and stuff away. But this is going to be a low-tech, low-light planted tank

Thread Information