Thread: Egg bearing blue lobster... Need advise

GoldenSlumbers

Default Egg bearing blue lobster... Need advise

Hi all,

A little back story for you. *new here* I started my aquatics life as a mushroom not very long ago, following some of the all too familiar advise from my lfs.
    I'm currently running two tanks that require serious maintenance as in one, I have high ammo, and the other high nitrite. I'm testing the water before and after, daily 10% water changes. Any advise welcome.

The tank in question is around 100ltr and is home to my two blue lobster. *nitrite between 2 and 5ppm* One lobster/crayfish is a bit larger that the other with longer claws but i'm not totally sure if he's a he?

The other I've had a bit longer I'm certain is a female . They were introduced to each other a day or two ago she instantly found a hinding place and curled her tail under. At first I thought this might be a defence mechanism, being ready to spring into action should the larger tankmate get too close, however on closer inspection today *daylight* I can see she is heavily egg laden.

So to clarify, can you help with the cycle issue, help sex the larger of the two and offer any care advise for the eggs. I'm thinking heavy planting to one side and many caves and hiding places, beyond that I'm a bit clueless

Thanks in advance

A

GoldenSlumbers

Or if anyone knows a forum where someone could help... Let me know

Thanks

Regular
    Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Images

..can you send me a pic so then we know what it is and what sex.
    Cheers
    Chris

GoldenSlumbers

Sorry need to make more posts to post pictures

Bear with me...

These are the pics I could get. The female has dug caves out under the rocks and has virtually disappeared

Any help greatly appreciated. Both were sold to me as blue lobster at different stores. The one you can see was bought for 10 the egg bearing female was about 4. I'm feeding them brine shrimp at the moment

Many thanks

GoldenSlumbers

As I know nothing about shrimp I'm struggling to post fifteen times

GoldenSlumbers

I tried to start a game in an attempt to post more, but a friendly moderator locked the thread and told me I must introduce myself...

Anyway trying to get to fifteen posts so I can finally ID my lobster / crayfish is proving most difficult

GoldenSlumbers

Ok update... One I got an external filter and that seems to be handling the big tank better. Ammo down to .25 ppm (better) other tank has now cycled with 00 ammo NitrI reading over two days )

GoldenSlumbers

Thread Information