Thread: Substrate for Crystal Red Shrimp

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default Substrate for Crystal Red Shrimp

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and I bought a few CRS juvies recently as I am getting into the hobby, and I put them in a small 3Gal nano tank orginally used to house a few white cloud fish with a hob filter and a heater without temp control, so it always keeps the temp around 78 F. The fish will be going to my 30Gal tank. I have eco-complete substrate on the tank and some plants and moss for them. No casualties so far for 3 weeks. I am new and buying additional CRS is a lot of money for me, so I would really love to setup a good environment to breed them. I read that CRS loves 5.8-6.8 PH, so should I change my substrate? I heard Aquasoil is good and makes the water more acidic, but will it melt after a few yrs and need a replacement soil? I also read that they like temp to be around 62-72, so I was thinking about turning my heater off. Please advice.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

hmm.. when you use soil,, aft 1.5yrs-2yrs, its better to change due to the loss of acidic in the soil aquasoil is one of the popular brand used by breeders

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Definitely turn off your heater. Aim for 72F for CRS. I personally do not rely on substrates to maintain parameters. That is accomplished by having the right mix of water in their tank. I keep my CRS at 6.5 Ph, 2 dKh, 5-6 dGh, and a TDS of 140ppm. I maintain these parameters with a 3:1 RO/Tap mixture and add a small amount of Gh booster to get my Gh where I want it. I don't have to worry about any other buffering variables, my water takes care of it.

countcoco

If you don't have an ro unit, active soil is definitely the way to go. You can add a thick layer of it to maintain the buffering capacity for a longer period of time. Personally, I don't think it's such a big deal to change the soil every year, as you'll avoid old tank syndrome, parasites, viruses, etc.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Well, I will probably just stick with what I have because I really don't like to idea of having to change the soil. Maybe I will just make a diy co2 to lower the ph a bit. Thanks. What kind of old tank syndrome are you talking about? This is just a shrimp tank, so no fish is going in, maybe I am missing something?

Thread Information