Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to cool a NANO tank ? Thread #2

Country
    Czech_Republic
    Thanks
    Images

Continue from:

http://www.shrimpnow.com/forum/show...&page=20&pp=10

I did not read whole tread, but cant chiller poison shrimps by copper or other metals from peltier or "body of chiller"?
    Last edited by silane; 15th Dec 2005 at 11:28 AM.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by quatermass
    no no no.

Small fans are noisier. They have to run faster to move the air and so create a higher pitch sound!

Big fans have big fins, so can be run at lower speeds to give a good amount of air movement.

Ask any PC Modder.
    A spelling mistake, what I meant was to use a LARGE heat sink, with a lot of fins and small fan. The large surface area is offered by large number of fin. There are some fanless CPU heatsink around, but huge !

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gr81
    I did not read whole tread, but cant chiller poison shrimps by copper or other metals from peltier or "body of chiller"?
    Peltier is isolated from water, one cold is transfer to the water, so there is no chance of peltier material leak into the water.

Country
    Czech_Republic
    Thanks
    Images

I have two more question about chiller presented in library.
    1. That is "cold fin" made of? It looks like aluminium, Will it not harm shrimps when the aluminium spread to watter?
    2. What type of silicon is used? Is it classic aquaristic silicon? My does not glue plastic, so It will not seal well. Aren't other type of silicon harmful?

3. how much will it affect if the water flows only through the pipe inside of chiller. Chiller filled by watter or some other thermal compound good transferring heat and pipe only going through. Should it work? If chiller will be approx 40cm long?

Editor
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by quatermass
    Ok, you've got a 400W power supply and you've use a big heatsink with a fan on the peltier. How to you get rid of all this heat?

A peltier is very inefficiency, at least 50% of its power is wasted as heat so the heat from the Power Supply and the heat from the heatsink/fan will have to go into the air in the room with the tank.

So ultimately the temperature in the room will increase and this will in turn heat up the tank surely?

Then there is the noise aspect to all this. A powerful ATX Power supply may have 2 fans in it.
    So with at least 2 or 3 fans running, won't this cooling system make a lot of noise?

Last summer I bought a cheap little peltier powered can cooler and simply fed 20 feet of airline tubing coiled up inside it to a small eheim water pump.
    It took my 60L tank at 31C down to 26C after 12 hours.
    But the fan in the cooler was pretty noisy for having on in the living room. So I opened it up and put in a low noise version of the fan.
    However this just made the cooler useless as the heatsink was obviously heating up faster than the fan could dump the heat.

I would have had to double the size of the heatsink to offset the lower airflow.

I've now got a new 200L tank and I just know that next summer I'm going to have a tank at 31C again.

I think I'll be better off pumping the water off to the nearby kitchen into the Freezer or Fridge. :-)
    i agreed that peltier is not really that efficient and has its limits. If you intent to cool anything more then 200L i would suggest getting a chiller. The only advantage is that it can turn into a heater in winter . The best C.O.P is Stirling cooler followed by phase change then at the bottom is peltier.

cheers
    xtrekker

Editor
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fruitpie
    I was thinking to drive a 24V TEM using 15V.
    Connect 2 12VDC TEM in series and bingo you get a 24V TEM.

cheers
    xtrekker

Editor
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

I have two more question about chiller presented in library.
    1. That is "cold fin" made of? It looks like aluminium, Will it not harm shrimps when the aluminium spread to watter?
    2. What type of silicon is used? Is it classic aquaristic silicon? My does not glue plastic, so It will not seal well. Aren't other type of silicon harmful?

3. how much will it affect if the water flows only through the pipe inside of chiller. Chiller filled by watter or some other thermal compound good transferring heat and pipe only going through. Should it work? If chiller will be approx 40cm long?
    1.For my case i used a spare P4 heatsink. Its made of anodised aluminium.

2. For the sealant , I used epoxy . So far nothing happended to my shrimps.

3.To reduce heat intake , the distance from the cold plate to the
    tank should be kept to the minimum.

cheers
    xtrekker

Country
    Czech_Republic
    Thanks
    Images

If I buy peltier 15.6V max. 10A max.
    Can I use ATX PC PSU which gives at 12V 20A max? What will happen if max current (A) of peltier will be smaller than PSU can give? Will it work or will peltier burn. What other case if max A of peltier will be bigger than max PSU can give. will PSU collapse? I read "how to" but i'm not sure.

Editor
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

If I buy peltier 15.6V max. 10A max.
    Can I use ATX PC PSU which gives at 12V 20A max? What will happen if max current (A) of peltier will be smaller than PSU can give? Will it work or will peltier burn. What other case if max A of peltier will be bigger than max PSU can give. will PSU collapse? I read "how to" but i'm not sure.
    yes you can . dun worry the PSU will only supply the current needed. From my experience , PSU will "burn" out first. My 2 cheapo 480W PSU overheated after 10mins . Did some trouble shooting and the switching transistor had burn out.

here what i did to rectifiy the problem ,

1. By default the cooling fan is running at 5V . Run the fan at Vmax @ 12V

2. Orginal fan is rated at 0.14A . Change mine to a fan rated @ 0.24A

3. Change the fan orientation so that it blows inwards. It works for me cause the heatsink is just directly infront of the fan. There is alot of discussion/argument on "blowing" or "sucking" . As long as its work its a good method..

cheers
    xtrekker

Country
    Czech_Republic
    Thanks
    Images

Question

what type of Peltier do you have? How can PSU burn out if no max A is reached?

Thread Information