Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TDS after adding Mosura Mineral Plus

Country
    Ukraine
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MananaP View Post
    I don't know if this only applies to me but i can measure my GH from my TDS hehehehe... If you tell me your TDS i can tell which GH it is or very close to almost exact GH you have just with crs tds though as i have never kept sulawesi before...
    There is no strict dependency between TDS and GH. GH can be defined by quantity of ions Ca+ and Mg+. If you disolve NaCl - this will rise TDS, but not GH. If you add MgSO4 and CaCl2 in RO water - this will rise TDS and GH. Some shrimp keepers uses TDS meter to define is water change is necessary - becouse shrimps life stocks also rises TDS.

Senior
    Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Images

Is it safe if overdose the mineral plus?
    I don't have the TDS meter...
    Btw I'm using RO water to do water change now.
    Trying to lower the ph in my tank...
    Beginning was ph 7.4 and now after one water changed yesterday became ph 7.0...

Country
    Ukraine
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cllui View Post
    Is it safe if overdose the mineral plus?
    CR shrimps can live in quite wide range of GH - but if yo will change GH too quick - this can affect them. On assaqua website writen that mineral plus should be devided on 3 portions - if your water was very soft before.

countcoco

Quote Originally Posted by laotzu View Post
    There is no strict dependency between TDS and GH. GH can be defined by quantity of ions Ca+ and Mg+. If you disolve NaCl - this will rise TDS, but not GH. If you add MgSO4 and CaCl2 in RO water - this will rise TDS and GH. Some shrimp keepers uses TDS meter to define is water change is necessary - becouse shrimps life stocks also rises TDS.
    Exactly. TDS is essentially a measure of everything that is dissolved in your water that isn't H20. Therefore, gH is a component of TDS, as gH is a measure of dissolved calcium and magnesium levels, but this is a very small part of the picture.

It's very possible to have a TDS reading of say 400 and a gH reading of 0.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by laotzu View Post
    I already know all of these, TDS is composed even shrimp waste. BUT we are talking about adding mosura mineral plus added into the water and i'm just sharing my experience specially added to RO water. I have always checked my GH every water change and with a lot of tanks it gets tiring and waste of $$$ buying those liquid GH tester. NOW i only measure TDS and it tells me what level my GH is when i reach the TDS that i want to achieve every water change. Also TDS helps me determine when i have to do water changes in my tanks... LIFE is easier this way...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MananaP For This Useful Post:

wifi

Quote Originally Posted by MananaP View Post
    I already know all of these, TDS is composed even shrimp waste. BUT we are talking about adding mosura mineral plus added into the water and i'm just sharing my experience specially added to RO water. I have always checked my GH every water change and with a lot of tanks it gets tiring and waste of $$$ buying those liquid GH tester. NOW i only measure TDS and it tells me what level my GH is when i reach the TDS that i want to achieve every water change. Also TDS helps me determine when i have to do water changes in my tanks... LIFE is easier this way...

I agree with you. For a Mineral Plus, there is no need to measure pH for second time. First time, figure out what is the TDS to the GH you want, and from next onwards, just measure by TDS. It is fast and cheap to use a TDS meter, then using GH test kits, which is expensive and slow.

At least someone is doing the same as me.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wifi View Post
    I agree with you. For a Mineral Plus, there is no need to measure pH for second time. First time, figure out what is the TDS to the GH you want, and from next onwards, just measure by TDS. It is fast and cheap to use a TDS meter, then using GH test kits, which is expensive and slow.

At least someone is doing the same as me.
    "FAST & EASY"! .....

Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

MananaP and wifi... to be clear, are you adding the Mineral Plus directly to the tank or are you adding it to a container of RO water? If it is direct to the tank, you fail to take into account the amount of waste (not just shrimp waste, but decaying organic materials) and that will throw the GH to TDS theory out the window. If it's into a container, then I can agree that it is a valid, although unscientific, approach.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by retardo View Post
    MananaP and wifi... to be clear, are you adding the Mineral Plus directly to the tank or are you adding it to a container of RO water? If it is direct to the tank, you fail to take into account the amount of waste (not just shrimp waste, but decaying organic materials) and that will throw the GH to TDS theory out the window. If it's into a container, then I can agree that it is a valid, although unscientific, approach.
    I do both, on my more delicate shrimps i match the TDS of the tank first. With my crs i just dump as my gut feeling would let me. Sorry but i don't recommend this to anyone and this is base solely as how i do things with my shrimps and tanks and it works fine with me and saves me tons of time. I don't know how but it works for me and i have been doing it for a while now and everytime i test my GH it is in the range of 4-6 everytime.

Country
    Ukraine
    Thanks

Can anybody to measure GH after adding 1 ml mineral plus to 5 litre of RO water?

Thread Information