Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you face issue of BGA - Blue Green Algae

cjloong

Default Do you face issue of BGA - Blue Green Algae

Coming from planted tank background, I have been facing issues of BGA in my shrimp only tank. BGA is usually caused by too low NO3 which frequents shrimp tank.

Just want to find out how do you all tackle this issue or if it exist or not in your shrimp tanks?

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

cjloong, welcome to the forum.

It never happen to my low maintaince shrimps tanks, but my old planted tanks. Poor water quality, lack of O2 is one of the cause.

How's your tank setup? And water parameter?

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

I also recently has an outbreak of BGA in my planted tank. The reason? I was slack in changing water for the past couple of weeks due to heavy work schedule. I started to do better maintenance and the BGA is now under control and getting less.

cjloong

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate your help. Thanks also fruitpie for helping me with fixing my login problem. Now can start posting. ;-)

Actually, what prompted me to post is that I did a search on BGA on this forum but found that no one posted about this before. That's why I am curious. My own shrimp tank, usually have very low to none NO3 (actually usually 0 ppm unless I overfeed).

So, what's the secret? ;-) How do you get no BGA with usually 0 ppm or very low NO3? Water change?

Anyway, I don't have BGA now. It sometimes it comes and go. I usually increase water flow and it will be gone.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

I don't think BGA is linked to low nitrates.. I used to have a neglected high nitrates planted tank overrun with BGA + hair algae.

cjloong

I don't dispute that neglected tank or high NO3 tank can have BGA. Just look at the drain, even fast flowing ones have BGA.

I also don't dispute that low NO3 could cause BGA, perhaps indirectly. Reference to AquaticPlantCentral, algae finder link on BGA. (sorry, I can't link).

My experience with BGA is more to the second paragraph.

What I meant to discuss is, how come shrimp tank with low NO3 have no BGA? Or is my question invalid, meaning shrimp tank does have BGA in certain conditions.

Fruitpie, kenkht and NanoDave,
    You refer to your neglected planted tank. How about your shrimp tank? Do they have BGA? ;-)

I think I am missing something in my shrimp tank which sometimes cause BGA. I don't think it is neglect as NO3, nH4, NO2 are all 0. Something I have to learn or unlearn from planted tank.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

My shrimp tank has no BGA at all except a small area where the outside of the L-joint is. And coincidentally, that area is just wet and has almost no water flow while the rest of the tank has pretty good circulation due to the size of my tank and the way my inlet and outlet is situated. So doesn't that show it has more to do with water flow than nitrates?

Also, is is possible to show us a photo of your shrimp tank so we can see where the BGA is growing at so maybe we can infer something from it?

Im not an expert and in fact far from being one, so what I speak is just from hypothesis based on my limited experience with BGA. Hopefully this gets sorted out and I get another excuse not to change water so often in my other tanks

(btw could you also summarise what the 2nd paragragh on APC's algae finder says, that has corresponded with your experience? I couldn't find the algae finder; perhaps it is only accessible for their members only?)
    Last edited by NanoDave; 28th Nov 2005 at 12:40 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Images

I change 50% of the water every week. Never had any problems with Cyanobacteria (no algue acutally).
    There are shrimp species, that should eat these bacteria I think.

cjloong

Shrimp eating algae? Come to think of it, isn't spirulina and chollera types of blue green algae?

cjloong

Quote Originally Posted by NanoDave
    My shrimp tank has no BGA at all except a small area where the outside of the L-joint is. And coincidentally, that area is just wet and has almost no water flow while the rest of the tank has pretty good circulation due to the size of my tank and the way my inlet and outlet is situated. So doesn't that show it has more to do with water flow than nitrates?
    Agree... Water flow does play a part to cure minor outbreaks. I currently use this method in one tank.

Also, is is possible to show us a photo of your shrimp tank so we can see where the BGA is growing at so maybe we can infer something from it?
    Oh dear, I have more than 1 tank. The planted tank with cherry is the one facing this problem previously. I am talking about outbreak, not minor ones that can be cured by water flow. Don't have a picture of the outbreak though.

(tryied to upload picture but file too big. Tried to link but cant... please hold on) will try again

Im not an expert and in fact far from being one, so what I speak is just from hypothesis based on my limited experience with BGA. Hopefully this gets sorted out and I get another excuse not to change water so often in my other tanks

(btw could you also summarise what the 2nd paragragh on APC's algae finder says, that has corresponded with your experience? I couldn't find the algae finder; perhaps it is only accessible for their members only?)
    You are right. Sorry about that not realizing that you need to be a member.

Quote from APC
    It has been postulated that the cause of a BGA breakout is lack of Nitrates in the aquarium.

But to get rid of the existing BGA, two different types of treatment are available:

- Erythromycin (antibiotic) treatment.
    - 3 or 4 day *complete* blackout (tank covered, not just lights off).

Remember to make sure your Nitrate levels are above 0 mg/l (10-20 mg/l is best) or the BGA will just come back.
    One experienced which is not documented here is like what we are doing, increasing water flow.

In the comments, some people change water but still come back. There are some people who have enough NO3 but still have. Some put the antibiotic but still come back. Some people also put a type of chemical to complete eradicate it. I guess algae is a complicated thing and there is no silver bullets.

My limited experience tells me that perhaps its like this:
    1) No NO3 -> stunted plant growth -> algae having upperhand. (NPK - N is very important in plant growth).
    2) There exist other nutrient in the tank. Since plant not taking it, algae thrives.

Thread Information