Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood Shrimp Breeding?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Default Wood Shrimp Breeding?

I've recently purchased some Wood Shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis) (I've also seen them listed on boards as 'Bamboo Shrimp' or other such names) and find them so interesting to watch, using their fans to search for food. I am wondering if anyone knows about breeding them, or beter yet has tried or succeeded?!

So far I haven't found a whole lot about breeding them except that they are probably 'brackish' breeders, or the same as Amano shrimps in that their larva need salt water to develop in and are planktonic when hatched.

Does anyone have more information on breeding these guys?
    Or seen them with egg? If so what were the conditions?

~fishing for information~
    Kaylee

GunmetalBlue

Hi Kaylee and welcome to the forum.

So far anyway, no one has claimed they've successfully bred Bamboo shrimp. So unless someone does, you may have to be your own pioneer.

What I would suggest is to read up as much as you can about breeding shrimp that requires brackish/salt water for their larvae as a starting point. The two kinds of shrimp that have been bred that I know of is the Amano and the Red Nose shrimp.

For Amanos, mikes machine seems to be the best, though I'm not sure that's an allowed link here: http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/breeding_yamato.htm

For info on breeding Red Nose, click here and read Hockey shrimp's info:
    http://www.shrimpnow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297

After you've got the basic info in hand, you would need to make a detailed chart of variables and try different ones out, as no one seems to know what they are yet. Some of the variables, for instance would be amount of salinity; how quickly to change the salinity; how long before reducing salinity, etc. You'd also have to figure out how to feed the larvae during this time. From what I've read, the larvae go through several planktonic stages; it would be difficult to figure out if they need any differing conditions for those stages.

If possible, I would speed the process of elimination by dividing the larvae into more than one tank and trying out different variables in each tank.

Yes, I know of a mod in a different forum whose Bamboo shrimp would get eggs periodically, but he did not attempt to rear them, so no info. Generally speaking though, the Bamboo is a tropical species and do best between temp of 73 - 82 Farenheit. It's recommended to have larger tanks for them (20 gal and up). They also seem to love a nice current, since that is a big part of how they eat, by filtering the water.

Don't forget to update us if you decide to start on this project.

-GB
    Last edited by silane; 7th Nov 2005 at 04:32 PM.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GunmetalBlue
    It's recommended to have larger tanks for them (20 gal and up). They also seem to love a nice current, since that is a big part of how they eat, by filtering the water.
    Hi GB,

Is there any restriction on how many bamboo shrimp in the 20gal tank or rule of thumb on water volume vs number of shrimps?

BTW, Hockey shrimp has sucessfully spawned another brood of Red Nose shrimps, and he has wrote an article on how to breed them with pictures on it, I am putting it in Library as soon as I got it.

dwaffer

I also keep a pair of bamboo shrimp. By all acounts they are very healthy and happy but I have not yet even seen any eggs. I was just wondering if anybody had ever seen them produce eggs or larvae?

GunmetalBlue

Hi Fruitpie , it's amazing, Hockey shrimp's success in breeding them. The article will be a great addition to the library and hopefully answer many questions, but I somehow suspect Hockey shrimp will still get inundated with more questions!

About the Bamboo shrimp, all aquarium situations are different so it's hard to say, but I gleaned the 20 gal and up "rule" from a reliable source (the above said person who had a mating pair), and also, from personal experience. The point is that they do much better in a larger tank. Of course, if the Bamboo is still young and small, it's less of an issue.

These guys get large, approx. 8 - 12cm (3.15 - 4.72 inches). Mine were adults when I first got them and both were over 4 inches. I didn't know any better and had them first in a 10 gal. Looking back, I see that they did not have much volume of water to filter nor very many choices of where they could hang out. They seemed to be two large objects when on the floor of the aquarium and their movements seemed limited. They didn't need to do much to get from one side of the aquarium to the other. At one point, one of them ceased to filter as often and stopped doing much of anything.

When I finally got to move them to a larger tank, they were so much happier (as happy as we humans can tell shrimp are happy ). They are more able to display their normal behavior. They'll still have a few favorite spots they like to hang out at, but at least they don't reach the other end of the aquarium in a few moves. And I'm surprised at how much stuff they must filter out of the water because even without me directly feeding them, the amount of waste (poop) seem to indicate they get enough to eat. Which, BTW is another limiting factor of how many Bamboo shrimp one can keep successfully in a given aquarium - whether they are able to get enough food in their given environment.

Dwaffer, do you know if you have an adult male and female? If you're not sure how to tell, Kaylee explains the easiest way to identify the sexes in this thread:
    http://www.shrimpnow.com/forum/show...=5500#post5500

-GB

dwaffer

Thanks GB.
    I do have a male and female. The male has much bigger front legs.
    I hear rumours that they live for perhaps twenty years so I guess I must be patient.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Awsome! Thanks for the info GunmetalBlue!

Due to the lack of first hand aqurium breeding information on the web so far I have started researching their native/wild habitat. Hopefully I can make them happy enough to get eggs. The brackesh phase is going to be the most chalanging....so far I've had trouble finding out what salinity 'brackesh' is (generaly as well as where wood shrimp come from). Good point of spliting up the babies too. I had that thought just today too.

I am hoping to breed my Amanos too but last time I was unable to get the babies (fry?) past the planktonic phase.

Kaylee

GunmetalBlue

Hi Kaylee, your enthusiasm will surely come in handy since the info and other people's personal experience is so lacking on the breeding. Should you succeed, you should definitely write an article!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwaffer
    I hear rumours that they live for perhaps twenty years...
    Yow! That would make them live longer than cats or dogs! That is quite a rumour; actually, I think their max lifespan is more like 5 or so years. Your male, if it already has the fatter front legs, sounds like it's reaching maturity, if not already so. Perhaps you may not have to wait too long. I unfortunately am not sure how old they have to be, to be mature enough to breed - so can't help much there.

-GB

Senior
    Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

I just got 10 pieces of banana wood shrimp last nite. And yes this is the batch just came out from the farm.

And I found there are 2 female carrying with eggs. I am just can't wait to breed them. So confirm the eggs will hatch as in larvae like amano and red nose? Or the eggs will hatch as in shrimplet?

It is hard to find out the level of salinity inside the water since lfs didn't carry any tester. Anyone have any other method to find out? Please advise.

Cheers,
    dom

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

The eggs will hatch as larva, like amano shrimp. (as stated a few times in this string)

The hard part is next. (keeping alive, feeding and raising)

I beleave they are all wild caught currently. Least thats what I've read.

I've also read somewhere (but don't know how accurate it is) that "brackish" water is 1-4 teaspoons of salt per gallon, and thats a very wide range... Now how MUCH salt fan shrimp larva need I don't know. I have not found any information for that yet. Now Amano shrimp seem to be optimumly raised in 17 ppm salinity. (I don't know what that translates into as teaspoons per gallon)

Now to clarify, there are a few diferent species of fan shrimp, I don't think this is widly known...

Common Fan shrimp (Wood Shrimp): Atyopsis moluccensis (the ones I have and are the ones most often available)

And a extreemly similar looking Bamboo Fan Shrimp: Atyopsis spinipes
    (often sold under the same common name as each other)

But I dont know if they have diferent breeding habits. I haven't found a conclusive way to tell the diference between them but have read that the way to tell them apart is the size and shape of the 'nose'. Put I forget where I read that....been doing lots of searching, reading, and only printing up the most helpfull info.

Thread Information