Thread: Caridina Spinata "Yellow Cheek"

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Default Caridina Spinata "Yellow Cheek"

Has the Caridina Spinata "Yellow Cheek" for about 1 month now. Just bought some new ones from the LFS to top up on some death. This is my second attempt at keeping them. Used to keep them for nearly a year, but they die due to old age a year later, and have not spotted them being sold till recently.

Can be prone to a specific disease that seemingly only affects them, and this is seen on the head of the shrimp turning brownish in colour. So do select only healthy specimen. If the LFS's stock has a disease shrimp, I do refrain from buying any of them.

Physically wise, they are slightly larger than the Striata and the Dennerli. Colour wise, absolutely striking! This is one of my favourite shrimp. They are larger, easier to look at, and have very nice colour combination.
    The Caridina Spinata "Yellow Cheek" I kept is different from the Caridina Spinata "Red Stripe", as the "Yellow Cheek"'s colour is much more golden and bright golden dots shows on the body and the cheek of the head. This is missing on the "Red Stripe" version. Also, when the lights are suddenly turn on in a dark tank, the "Yellow Cheek" species remains just as striking in it's red and yellow colour, while the "Red Stripe" version turns bluish or transparent, like the Dennerli.

A difficult species to keep, almost as difficult as the Caridina Striata, but they are not as territorial.
    They like to hide under my crypt bushes more than near the rocks.
    Very prone to stress, just like Caridina Striata. I had one shrimp die right before my eyes when I use flash photography to take a picture of it. It just start flipping in the water, landed on the substrate and promptly died.
    So similar to the Caridina Striata, I do not approach the tank immediately or switch on the tank light unneccessarily when they are out and about looking for food. I usually let them detect my presence, and have a chance to withdraw to their comfortable hiding spot before approaching them.

Have couple of berried females, so I will update further when I see shrimplets.
    Here's a picture:

2. The Following User Says Thank You to trelch For This Useful Post:

myles (5th May 2011)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Here's another picture:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to trelch For This Useful Post:

myles (5th May 2011)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Images

Thanks for sharing all this information of caridina spinata with us. I have had some for a couple of time, but they all died within four months. Actually, they have had this shell problem which, I guess, is caused by bacteria and bad water condition on transportation routes.
    Hopefully, you berried will release a lot of nice shrimplets to you! Good luck and keep us updated, please

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

I have seen this disease before. Really pity the poor shrimp. Will definitely try to post pictures if there are any shrimplets!

Thread Information