Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: My Sulawesi Shrimp Adventure

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Images

Great thread Scorpio.
    Hope you can update us please. Im in a position now to import 200 sulawesi shrimp directly from Indonesia, Cardinals and Harlequins. I live in Portsmouth where the params are quite hard - my stats from the tap are:

PH - 7.4
    GH - 16
    KH - 6
    TDS - 300 ish.

How do you think they would fair in these conditions?

Any more info you can give me would be great, thanks.

Bungy

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

Sorry for the lack of responses, guys - been very busy with random things.

I'm afraid this project came to an end long ago. In the end only the Cardinals and a few Spinatas survived, and I was left with a breeding colony of Cardinals. The colony died abruptly when there was a change in my tapwater.

HOWEVER, I now have some free time and I will be importing lots of new species from Sulawesi. My method had been vastly improved, and I hope others can learn from this experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bungy View Post
    Great thread Scorpio.
    Hope you can update us please. Im in a position now to import 200 sulawesi shrimp directly from Indonesia, Cardinals and Harlequins. I live in Portsmouth where the params are quite hard - my stats from the tap are:

PH - 7.4
    GH - 16
    KH - 6
    TDS - 300 ish.

How do you think they would fair in these conditions?

Any more info you can give me would be great, thanks.

Bungy
    Hi Bungy!

I strongly advise you avoid importing wild-caught pieces, especially Harlequins. You have a better chance being successful by importing 10 captive bred pieces from Germany than importing 200 wild caught from Singapore / Indonesia. The shrimp are believed to be kept in poor conditions and most will die in shipping, and the ones that survive will die in your aquarium UNLESS you use rainwater / RO water with SaltyShrimp salts or similar.

As for your water, I suggest you avoid tap water altogether. You must be in full control of your water by using RO water with SaltyShrimp salts with an inert substrate.

I can't stress enough that this isn't a hobbyist going overkill - to be successful with Sulawesi shrimps you really must go to these lengths of precision. Even if they survive in your tap water, they will most likely die with time. You may be successful with Caridina caerulea in these conditions, though. There are indeed cases where Sulawesi shrimp have responded well to tap water, like in my case with the Cardinals; but this is a short-term success and any slight change in the chemical composition of the water will spell disaster.

I will make a guide to setting up a Sulawesi shrimp tank soon, perhaps that will be of help. I'm sorry for the negativity, but I just hope it saves you an expensive disaster.
    Follow my shrimp blog Updated regularly.

Bschowa

great thread, i love the look of your tank

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Images

Scorpio, thank you so much for the informative response. It is important that we all learn from others experiences with the Sulawesi strains so that a clear picture can be made of exactly how to keep them successfully. Your input thus far will im sure prove to be invaluable. Id dearly love to see these shrimp bred in captivity over the longer period, eventually becoming more used to our conditions and growing in popularity. Im determined to try the Sulawesi but as you say perhaps its a tad risky to import large numbers at considerable cost only to end up with nothing at the end of it. Thanks again and please keep this thread updated with your progress.
    Bungy

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bschowa View Post
    great thread, i love the look of your tank
    Thanks a lot, Bschowa!

Quote Originally Posted by bungy View Post
    Scorpio, thank you so much for the informative response. It is important that we all learn from others experiences with the Sulawesi strains so that a clear picture can be made of exactly how to keep them successfully. Your input thus far will im sure prove to be invaluable. Id dearly love to see these shrimp bred in captivity over the longer period, eventually becoming more used to our conditions and growing in popularity. Im determined to try the Sulawesi but as you say perhaps its a tad risky to import large numbers at considerable cost only to end up with nothing at the end of it. Thanks again and please keep this thread updated with your progress.
    Bungy
    No problem at all, bungy. I'm glad my experience has been useful!

Now that SaltyShrimp salts are available there should be more Sulawesi shrimp in the market soon. I will happily sell to you within the UK once I have breeding colonies established so you can enjoy keeping these shrimp too! If you can not wait, I suggest looking at online shops from the continent, particularly Germany and Italy.

I will indeed keep you updated - perhaps I will start a new thread here. Oh, also - you may know me as Atyidae on another forum
    Follow my shrimp blog Updated regularly.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    Thanks a lot, Bschowa!

No problem at all, bungy. I'm glad my experience has been useful!

Now that SaltyShrimp salts are available there should be more Sulawesi shrimp in the market soon. I will happily sell to you within the UK once I have breeding colonies established so you can enjoy keeping these shrimp too! If you can not wait, I suggest looking at online shops from the continent, particularly Germany and Italy.

I will indeed keep you updated - perhaps I will start a new thread here. Oh, also - you may know me as Atyidae on another forum
    Nice one Scorpio. Yep we have chatted on the other forum...!!!
    Ive recently sold my entire shrimp farm, tanks, livestock and all equipment -sadly due to other work commitments however im happy to say that things are settling down again and im ready to start building up the fish-house again for a Sulawesi setup. Early days but hoping to get cracking soon. Id be very interested to know the German importer that you are using. I recently met with a local lass (Portsmouth) whom is successfully breeding Cardinals using RO and minerals. Waiting for the next batch of tank breds from her to start my own colony. Fingers crossed.

Bungy

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

hey scorpio, how did u manage to import them in uk? im in Aust, in here its bloody strict! and quarantine guys here have the mentality that if bringing these shrimps will harm the eco system, thats why hobbyist dont want to risk getting caught. I mean seriously, to think that we as hobbyist want to damage our eco system is BS. we keep in our tanks and we look after it. to think that have an evil mind by breeding it then releasing it to rivers is pissing me off.

Country
    Wales
    Thanks

In the UK it is slightly different, as these shrimps can't harm the ecosystem, as they won' t survive in a wild. However, there are still strict regulations.

Thread Information