Thread: 37g planted tank just before adding the shrimp

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default 37g planted tank just before adding the shrimp

Hey all,

New to the wonders of ornamental invertebrate keeping and I have a 37 gallon tank with CRS and cherry red shrimp that are all doing well so far. It's got me so happy so far that I'm already dreaming about my next tank. (no one warned me how dangerous this could be!!) Most of my fish friends thought I was crazy to devote so much tank space to shrimp, but I laughed it off as I really wanted a planted tank and shrimp just made sense.

I would love to know if there was anyone who knew where there was European river shrimp(or Atyaephyra desmaresti MILLET 1831 for you science folks) in the US. Now that I'm seeing the non-larval type shrimp I would love to see how the other side lives.

One question I did have was I was wondering if I should be worried about the hydra that has stuck itself around the tank. I don't want to lose any shrimpets to the little buggers. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Midraj For This Useful Post:

Shick Settima (11th Mar 2012)

fishgeek

great looking tank

hydra are often associated with excess food , and obviously lack of predators in your set up
    some gourami will eat them
    less food will control them
    certain chemicals can be used to control them, flubenol which is flubendazol maybe worth looking into though i dont recall any thing about invert safety

i think that it works on microtubule energy systems in the nematodes and trematodes

certainly some reading before use
    andrew

Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

Welcome! Nice set-up you have there. Shrimp is very addictive!

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

thanks fishgeek but as far as I can see I actually underfeed. The tank is just about 1 month and half old and just to make sure the shrimps take care of algae around the tank I have only been feeding about half a plecomin tablet every 2-3 days. With only 3 RCS and about 20 CRS, am I still overfeeding? I don't think I mind the hydra, I just want to know if they pose a threat. My two female RCS's are newly berried and it would be nice to be sure the little ones have a fighting chance.

Regular
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Hydra do pose a threat to shrimplets . Mystery/Apple snails will eat them. They probably came in with plants. They need excellent water quality to survive, so you must have a heakthy tank .

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

thanks bee fan, that's both encouraging and a little scary. I have gotten them from, I'm sure, from my plant purchases. I have about 3 different kinds of snails and have also been scooping out damselfly larvae. It's kind of funny that when you make a habitat suitable for these cute little scavengers you invite others in as well.

fishcop444

Quote Originally Posted by fishgeek View Post
    great looking tank

hydra are often associated with excess food , and obviously lack of predators in your set up
    some gourami will eat them
    less food will control them
    certain chemicals can be used to control them, flubenol which is flubendazol maybe worth looking into though i dont recall any thing about invert safety

i think that it works on microtubule energy systems in the nematodes and trematodes

certainly some reading before use
    andrew
    A small dose of this WILL kill hydra. It is sold in the US as a dog "de-wormer" I bought some on Amazon. I don't know how toxic it is to inverts, I took out all my critters before using it. You are probably having an overfeeding situation, as I had when encountering lots of hydra. A few hydra, here and there wont really hurt.

Thread Information