Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nerite Snail Eggs

BradH

I have read a few people say that they raise nerites successfully in hard freshwater and some say brackish water. I don't believe them at all though, because they can never show proof of doing so. I contacted several universities in Florida, here in the US, and spoke with marine biologists about this. They all told me that unless you have alot of time and money to invest in a setup to mimic the natural breeding process,then it's impossible. I do think that if someone had the time and money that you could be successful at it, but I personally don't, nor do many other people.

eclecticoldsod

Why should it be expensive or time consuming?

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

#1 is because you would have to set up a full SW setup on top of any brackish tanks and that does not ensure it will work.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

I've got a colony of freshwater nerites breeding in my freshwater shrimp tank. The eggs take 6-8 weeks to hatch, and the young grow quickly to about 10-12mm max. After alot of research, I identified them as Theoduxus fluvalatis. They are exceptionally pretty having dark brown almost black shells with yellow spots all over. Some even have stripes! They require no transfer to brackish water to hatch.

I love em - absolutely the very best algae control snail I've ever had and being quite slow to breed, they don't overrun the tank either.

Thread Information