Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal Red Shrimps and Temperature

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Default Temperature and Crystal Red Shrimps

Hi All,

Should be much nicer, just put in the chiller just now and the colour just came back.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by silane; 16th Jun 2005 at 07:48 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to STEVENSIM For This Useful Post:

myles (12th Apr 2011)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Steven,

Nice CRS you have, almost all of them have reasonably good white and redness, except that pregnant female. Is the female CRS having the same pale color before her gestation?

What's the temperature you have set on your chiller? What was the temperature before? Any behaviour difference in the 2 temperature?

Shrimper
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENSIM
    Hi Fruitpie,

Used to have a fan to cool to around 27/28 degrees, but the CRS cannot take it. One by one die and the colour/band got from very nice to very lousy.
    The chiller I have just install this evening, so now set to 26. By tomorrow, will set it further down to 25. Doing it in steps as not to stress the CRs.

With the temp at 26, the CRS colours have come back to almost the orignal state when I first bought them. Can really tell the difference even in the diamonds. The black and white strips are so distintive now as compare to without the chiller.
    Also they have became more active, I have even seen a few pairs making off already.

Cheers
    Hi Steven,

Good to hear that your CRS are getting better. After hearing a few feedback from other CRS hobbists, I came to a conclusion which i would like to share.

CRS can survive at 28 degrees or even more, but the question is for how long. The rate of breeding and shrimplets survival is low according to some jap websites if temperature is above 27. I kept mainly diamonds(my preference) and some crs. I got a chiller for them in my recently for 2ft. It seems that most of the hobbists are having the same problem of keeping CRS alive in their tank with only a fan.

I also had the problem of high temperature stressing my shrimps before i got my chiller. After installing the chiller, I gradually reduced the temp by setting 26 and the next day 25 to let them get use to the cold water as mention by Steven. The colors of the diamonds came back almost instantly when the water cools which its very obvious because the orange tint at the diamond's head and tail were back and more vibrant. You can identify stress diamonds/crs as they tend to keep swimming around endlessly or trying to climb out of the tank. Healthy shrimps like to keep their feets on the ground.

These few months, the temperature will go up to 28++ even with fan on 24/7.
    The bad thing with fans is that they dont help regulate the temp in the tank. The temperature of the tank is sort of controlled by the average room temp lets say you max out the evaporation rate it will still by 4 degrees below average room temperature. So the temperature can stay at 26 degrees when its raining and could go up to 28 degrees when its sunny again. That would really stress out the CRS especially those pregnant ones which is very sensitive to slight changes in water parameters even if you have perfect zero No3 it will still stress the adult shrimps and needless to say reduce the survival rate of CRS shrimplets.

Sometimes I dont understand why people are willing to spent 300-400 dollars to get CRS and unwilling to spend 300-400 to ensure their survival. Its not fun having to buy more CRS to top up the population after a few months trust me. As far as i know the only shrimps that can survive and breed with a fan is cherry, zebra and etc but definitely not Bees and CRS.

I read from some hardcore CRS jap website who did some test on"How temperature affect the water parameters and crs". The test is carried out in the same tank.

At 25 degrees NH3,NH4,NO3 is at the lowest mg/liter and could hold more oxygen,CO2 and etc.

At 28 degrees NH3,NH4,NO3 were increased and there were less oxygen, CO2 and etc.

Anyone with similar experience or have luck of breeding them with fans?
    Please feel free to share with us as we are all here to learn.
    Regards,
    Sim

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Hi Simcb,

I totally agree with you, when using a fan, my CRS die one by one, for no reason, even when all the other parameters are in the good range except for the Temp. The cost of the Teco chiller that I am using is nothing compare to the cost of the CRSs that I have lost.

kind of forgot to take a before and after pictures for comparison.

And so far, before the chiller, I have pregnant CRS but no babies. So time round keeping my fingers cross.

Cheers

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

STEVEN,

Hope you and your CRS happily ever after installing a chiller. Keep us update on your progress. Any idea how much would the electrical bill cost you?

Quote Originally Posted by simcb
    Sometimes I dont understand why people are willing to spent 300-400 dollars to get CRS and unwilling to spend 300-400 to ensure their survival. Its not fun having to buy more CRS to top up the population after a few months trust me. As far as i know the only shrimps that can survive and breed with a fan is cherry, zebra and etc but definitely not Bees and CRS.
    I think hobbyists are mis-informed about the temperature requirement of CRS/Bee shrimps, unforunately the required temperature cannot be achieved by a fan in tropical countries like Singapore and summer of some seasonal countries. In case of seasonal countries, temperature issue may not be so bad as 3/4 of the year, at least is in comfort temperature range of bee and crystal red shrimps.

Quote Originally Posted by simcb

Anyone with similar experience or have luck of breeding them with fans?
    Please feel free to share with us as we are all here to learn.
    I think there are one or 2 members in this forum who attempt to breed them without chiller, the females died during gestation. Well, it does not sound as bad a mine. I lost my first 2 batchs of CRS without chiller, with a fan, at best was 27+C (during the cooler months of the year), most of the time is 28+C. For no apparent reason, they died one by one, first sign was lost of color. And none carry eggs for 2 months, although their size have reached adult.

I turned to use chiller, setting it at 25C, I managed to breed them at large number, they look happier, more lively and the color look much better.

Yeah, I hope to hear from anyone who breed successful or CRS live long in temperature that is 28C or above. Anyone, please share the information.
    Last edited by silane; 16th Jun 2005 at 11:10 PM.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Hi Fruitpie,

Thanks, Will keep you all updated.

As for the Electrical bill, not too sure yet. But recommend to buy one model above what you need. My chiller only kicks in once in a while only, so do not think it will be too high. Will monitor and let you guys know.

BTW, I do not mind paying even if it is high but to get the peace of mind.

Samething happen to me, the pregnant ones die one by one and lost of colour before that.

Not too sure they can make it unless it is in a aircon room if without chiller.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by fruitpie
    STEVEN,

Hope you and your CRS happily ever after installing a chiller. Keep us update on your progress. Any idea how much would the electrical bill cost you?

I think hobbyists are mis-informed about the temperature requirement of CRS/Bee shrimps, unforunately the required temperature cannot be achieved by a fan in tropical countries like Singapore and summer of some seasonal countries. In case of seasonal countries, temperature issue may not be so bad as 3/4 of the year, at least is in comfort temperature range of bee and crystal red shrimps.

I think there are one or 2 members in this forum who attempt to breed them without chiller, the females died during gestation. Well, it does not sound as bad a mine. I lost my first 2 batchs of CRS without chiller, with a fan, at best was 27+C (during the cooler months of the year), most of the time is 28+C. For no apparent reason, they died one by one, first sign was lost of color. And none carry eggs for 2 months, although their size have reached adult.

I turned to use chiller, setting it at 25C, I managed to breed them at large number, they look happier, more lively and the color look much better.

Yeah, I hope to hear from anyone who breed successful or CRS live long in temperature that is 28C or above. Anyone, please share the information.

jojoecute

I do agreed with you guys...

MitCo

Hi all,
    Just to share my experience.
    I am a beginner who is trying to breed CRS without using a chiller. Recently, I discovered my pregrant CRS's eggs are gone......
    However, yesterday I saw 2 baby CRS shrimplets (~2mm) in my 4ft tank that look like the parent. I was so happy..
    My plan is to see whether the shrimplets can survive at ~28-29 deg.C. If as per all you guys had experienced, I will seriously considered getting a chiller.

Wish me good luck.

Cheers,
    MitCo....

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by MitCo
    Hi all,
    I am a beginner who is trying to breed CRS without using a chiller. Recently, I discovered my pregrant CRS's eggs are gone......
    However, yesterday I saw 2 baby CRS shrimplets (~2mm) in my 4ft tank that look like the parent. I was so happy..
    My plan is to see whether the shrimplets can survive at ~28-29 deg.C. If as per all you guys had experienced, I will seriously considered getting a chiller.

Wish me good luck.

Cheers,
    MitCo....
    Best of luck and cheers......... : sometime ago I had about four shrimplets
    and without chiller. To made it while the other two didn't. (shrimplet was
    together with the purchase when I bought the CRS)

Good luck Bro.
    Last edited by Robert; 6th Jul 2005 at 02:27 AM.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MitCo
    Hi all,

Wish me good luck.

Cheers,
    MitCo....
    Hi MitCo,

Thats great. Do keep us updated !!

Cheers

Thread Information