Thread: Scared of water change

brightsparky

Default Scared of water change

Each time I top up water (very small amount) - about 2 cups full. I see shrimps swimming to the top, not else where, but always to the area where the waterfall filter is located. See picture attached.

It is usually 1 or 2 shrimps that does that, the rest are normal. Should there be any concern? Sorry, I do not have any test kits.

My water have been treated with anti-chlorine, anti-ammonia, and have been standing in open air for 4 days before I pour them in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Change a brand of anti-cholorine and anti-cholormind. That's all you need, there is no need to add anti-xxxx.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Shrimp not so sensitive to oxygen as fish. All your shrimps will react the same if lack of oxygen. Most likely they are digging for food that stick on the glass wall. The water level will rise after water top up and so the shrimp can access to higher area that can't access earlier. Water fall filter will cause water drop on the wall near the water fall area, protein and fat left behind after water drop dry out. Shrimp will take them as food.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Images

Every week I will change 10% or 20% of all my tanks and refill it with cold water without anything in it

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

I see this behavior sometimes as well and at first was also worried, but I agree as said above the shrimp are feeding on bio film there.

Cheers, Bill

brightsparky

Sounds logical. Well, thanks all for the assurance.

Dungmvp

I don't think CRS feeding up there even they usually feed on sponge filter, that's because they couldn't accept the new water maybe cause by the anti-something and they tried to get out of the water. It's nomal when you see just some climb up but if you have 40 CRS you will see about 10 of them swimming around and 1 or 2 try to get out but the rest are nomal (it's because you just change 10 - 20% of water and the rest CRS seem nomal are less sensitive like the ones swimming around). Not my thought, I was told by the Seller and I think it's right. So as Silane said you should change the Brand or use aged water.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

hey silane or any crs keepers... i've noticed the same reaction when i do a water change... actually a more adverse reaction... everytime i do water change 1 of my crs would die....... i have no idea what's wrong.... but look at this thread I think i should change the brand of my anti cholorine and chloromaine which brand is everyone using? Please recommend?

Thread Information