Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 6 months into Sulawesi Shrimps

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wood View Post
    Actually they do lay eggs from what I have seen. Chucknorris and I have both witnessed this and posted a thread: http://www.shrimpnow.com/forum/show...ails-2908.html
    You are right. They are ovovivipar.
    The eggs need no time to mature. The babysnail begins to crawl out the egg directly.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

I will post more species info later...
    Wood, do you have information on your shrimp survival rate in tank after their arrival, and babies survival rate?

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Please continue to share, both good and bads, so that newbie into Sulawesi shrimps will know what to expect.

Many would have lure into keep Sulawesi shrimps by nice picture, little would they expect the not so nice side about them.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

I bought 10 cardinals, one died the very next day. I suspect it was the one that oddly turned bluish right after I caught it. Possibly it turned blue due to stress? Because after a few hours in my tank, its red coloration had restored enough that it was undistinguishable from the rest.

After about 5 weeks and 3 water changes later, I can count 8 shrimp still, but I didn't notice any extra corpse. No pregnant shrimp spotted yet

My water parameters at Singapore's tap water plus enough Seachem equilibrium to raise GH by 3 degrees. KH is about 4.5-5. pH was about 7.2-7.5 last I measured. About 28-30 Celsius. Filtration: HOT with seachem purigen

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

It is not easy to spot pregnant, the body is just a little bloated. Must view with night view camera, you can distinish matured females, preg females from the rest easily.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silane View Post
    Wood, do you have information on your shrimp survival rate in tank after their arrival, and babies survival rate?
    Hi Silane My good friend hehe

The first shipments that I was getting were 50% DOA and almost all died after a couple of days. Packaging during import is EXTREMELY important and unless your supplier knows what they are doing you are going to get many DOAs without a doubt. I am sure most of the people who have imported from Asia know this.

They are the most delicate creatures to import from the wild. It is very depressing when you open the big box and find over half of the shipment dead. I will post photos of this if you guys want me to. I will show you photos of thousands of dollars worth, dead. The smell is awful too

My next importation will be packaged very well according to my very strict demands for packaging to the supplier. Depending on the outcome I will share the results and shipping methods I demanded. I have gone through enough hell with these shrimp.

The Cardinals are definitely the hardiest of all of the Sulawesi. They have the best chance of living after shipment. Harlequin have the worst.

When the adults gave birth in my tank the survival rate for the babies is high. Captive born is obviously the best. I would estimate survival rate for babies is 75-80% and they look very healthy. The Cardinal babies do the best. The goldflake babies are also good. Harlequin babies seem to do ok if they can get past the first 2 weeks.

Alesfra

Sulawesi invertebrates that live with me:

- Caridina sp. Cardinal. I have some of them in a 30 liters tank with Tylomelanias

- "Matane Tiger" or "Black Tiger Matane" In this picture you can see a young shrimp and a little Tylomelania. Thanks, Xema. I saw a female with eggs a month ago but I haven´t any shrimplets.

- Red Goldflake (Cardina spinata) they share aquarium with "Black Tiger Matane":

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alesfra For This Useful Post:

myles (21st Apr 2011)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Hi Silane My good friend hehe

The first shipments that I was getting were 50% DOA and almost all died after a couple of days. Packaging during import is EXTREMELY important and unless your supplier knows what they are doing you are going to get many DOAs without a doubt. I am sure most of the people who have imported from Asia know this.

They are the most delicate creatures to import from the wild. It is very depressing when you open the big box and find over half of the shipment dead. I will post photos of this if you guys want me to. I will show you photos of thousands of dollars worth, dead. The smell is awful too

My next importation will be packaged very well according to my very strict demands for packaging to the supplier. Depending on the outcome I will share the results and shipping methods I demanded. I have gone through enough hell with these shrimp.

The Cardinals are definitely the hardiest of all of the Sulawesi. They have the best chance of living after shipment. Harlequin have the worst.

When the adults gave birth in my tank the survival rate for the babies is high. Captive born is obviously the best. I would estimate survival rate for babies is 75-80% and they look very healthy. The Cardinal babies do the best. The goldflake babies are also good. Harlequin babies seem to do ok if they can get past the first 2 weeks.
    Thank for the input.

But don't call me good friend, I hardly know you.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silane View Post
    Thank for the input.

But don't call me good friend, I hardly know you.
    Even with all the bad rep wood has been getting, I don't think that's necessary, silane.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Maybe Ryan ought to think about refunding all of those people who are posting on his own forum requesting refunds rather than use their money to buy more shrimp.

Thread Information