Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 months into Sulawesi Shrimps

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Default 6 months into Sulawesi Shrimps

Sulawesi Shrimps has been introduced to hobbyists worldwide for about 6 months.

How are they doing in your tank? Which species?

Or are they not suitable for captivity?

What are your thoughts?

bjar

I would be interestedt to hear that to,maybe you could start with sharing your experience Silane

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

I have been successful with Cardinal Shrimp and have had them breed in captivity with new young in the tank and shrimp in berry, picture quality is bad due to bio film on glass, shown is a berried female.

It took just over 2 months, I also have young almost fully grown that were born to berried shrimp when I purchased them that I hope will breed soon.

At first I lost many to shipping related stress and it took a while for the colony to become established, but so far so good.

Cheers, Bill

Cold

Hi Silane,
    I also keep Cardinals and had my first shrimplets after about 2 Months. I only see 4 shrimplets, but I think next time it will be better. 1 is carrying eggs again, and the tank is better cycled. I will also add a canister filter next days.
    Feeding is kind of frustrating, what any of my other shrimps love, they even don't look at
    Pretty much work with shrimplets that always hide when you want to watch them, but I love them though.

Regards
    Thorsten

Regular
    Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Images

I think the sulawesi shrimps should be kept with other sulawesis only because they don't know defend himselfs from other shrimps...
    I think they even can't swim, they only walk in the ground...
    this is my short experience with this species...

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Ok, after these months, I think the worldwide hobbyists can agree that Cardinals is possible to keep and breed and many of us has some result on this particular species.

How about other species?

For my experience, I have on successful with Cardinals in term of breeding and keep the generations going.

I used to have Gold Flake, they died during molting. Days ago, I found a grown up fries, like 1.2cm. I decided to move it to stay with Cardinals, but it died after 1 day. I am puzzled, moving it causing it to die and some more the tanks are partitioned, that means effectively they are the same tank, having same environment.

For Harlequin shrimps, the source to us is very bad, in fact, most of the sulaweisi reaching as are not healthy. Harlequin started to die in bags before I can release them into tank. I heard something bad about how this species of shrimp is caught, the collectors used chemical to knock them out in water and collect them, I am not sure how true this can be.

Anyway, share your successful and failure stories.

I think I have to highlight between difference of:
    - keep and breeding sulawesi shrimp
    - keeping them alive for 2 weeks vs 2 months or even longer
    - able to hatch fries from a wild caught female
    - able to hatch fries from a female pregnanted in tank
    - the hatch rate.
    - different species has different charactieristic.

I hope this discussion is kept between hobbyists and not mass seller and distributor.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Anyhow, I will do it by species:

Cardinal Shrimp

Definitely the hardiest of all of the Sulawesi Shrimp I have kept. I have had babies survive into juvenile age and they are still growing. Out of about 30 babies that I had hatch, roughly 10 have survived to juvenile age. Also, the adults from captivity also survive better than the other sulawesi shrimp. Why this is I do not know. Perhaps this species has had to evolve to withstand varying and harsh conditions based out where it lives in the lake. Thankfully it is also one of the most beautiful.

The babies grow fast and are not shy. You will see them immediately after hatching picking at the surface of rocks or wood and even on the substrate.

Harlequin Shrimp

The Harlequin can definitely be considered the most difficult to keep by some. However, I now disagree. I believe that the Harlequin have a tough time shipping when packaged improperly by the collectors in Asia. When the supplier properly packages these shrimp, along with all others, then the survival rate is dramatically increased. The first shipment I received of these shrimp I had virtually 100% die within a week of receiving them. That was several months ago. (that sure caused problems )

The latest shipment I received was dramatically different. The survival rate has been above 90% and people I have shipped to have theirs still alive. Yes, this is verified from numerous people I have shipped to. The Harlequin was my biggest concern from this latest shipment I received and I am very very happy with the results. I also quarantined them for a couple of weeks before shipping them out, only about 5% died during quarantine, at the most.

I am also proud to say that I have Harlequin babies in my tanks Yes, they are small but their pattern is easily recognizable. I will take photos of the babies soon. I do not have my macro lens anymore (sold it to Xema last year) and will see if I can borrow one from my friend. I will definitely start posting information on the Harlequin babies soon because I have not heard much about baby Harlequins elsewhere.

Red Goldflake

The Red Goldflake can be hard to keep as well, but as I stated in the Harlequin section things can improve dramatically based on shipping procedures. I found that the Red Goldflake will crowd together if stressed. They also like big tanks, so I recommend them for tanks 20g and up. I have babies of them as well and am closely monitoring them. The survival rate of the babies in the past has been zero. All of the babies ended up dying. However, with this recent shipment came more babies and they are still alive. I will take photos of the recent babies as well.

So, if you want to keep the Red Goldflake then keep them in a larger tank. Make sure that they are well quarantined as well before you get them. They can be difficult shippers from overseas. Recently there has been good success with them from people I have shipped them to after quarantine. I am happy but the success will truly show in about a month after they hopefully get pregnant for others.

Brown Camo

The Brown Camo is another hardy species comparable to the Cardinal. I have not had many babies from them as most get shipped out, but the babies do grow fast and survive well. They are good for smaller tanks and seem to like to wander around by themselves more than huddle together like Red Goldflakes and Harlequin.

I will post more info soon and info on more species too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wood For This Useful Post:

myles (21st Apr 2011)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Images

I donīt keep Sulawesi for a long time. Just some weeks.
    Currenty I have small numbers of Towuti tiger, Spongicola, Spinata and Cardinal.
    My Ensiferia all died. They arrived in bad condition but I think they are good to keep. I get more species/quantities next week.
    My shrimps hide all the time, they are pretty shy.
    Also I noticed that Sulawesi shrimps are more sensitive for shipping.
    I keep them together with many varieties of Sulawesi snails.
    The snails are awesome and I have many babies crawling around.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Snail seems to be a good tank mate for them, I see they go for ramhorm snail poo, it is funny to see that.

You mean Sulawesi snail baby? How's their eggs look like?

bjar

Most sulawesi snails that have been imported seams to be live bearers.I have got some ofspring from my T.patricalis they are born on at a time ,quite large at about one cm as new born.Acording to the little info I have found they produce one ofspring every eight weeks .

Thread Information