Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 months into Sulawesi Shrimps

ChuckNorris

Have had great success with the cardinals. Bought 11 but only 4 made it. Out of the four I had 2 males and 2 females. So far one female has given birth (captive) to about 12-13 young. All have survived and are growing very fast.

Just recently I have ordered dark maroon sulawesi. Was very worried with order and sure enough all 14 died within a week and a half. They were in the same tank as the cardinals which are very healthy and thriving. They seemed to die off one by one very sad/frustrating.

I also have some sulawesi snails in the tank and they are doing very well. The babies survival rate is about 50/50 though. Not sure why. They also seem to eat my dead leaves of plants but leave the living leaves alone . . .

Which are these "orchid" you mention????

Country
    Italy
    Thanks

This is the Sulawesi shrimp that I call "orchid".
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aligi66 For This Useful Post:

myles (21st Apr 2011)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks

wow that fantastic shrimp!

bjar

Aligi66 do you knew if you have gotten any F2 offspring ?Also you live on the canary islands if remember right? And they are vulcanic ,right ? I was thinking that since the lakes where the sulawesi shrimps live are also vulcanic ,maybe these shrimps need some mineral,cemical etc that are present vulcanic areas?

If i remember corectly Xema is using some kind of vulcanic rock in his sulawesi tanks .As seams to have good suces in keeping them long therm.

Maybe this could explanin why some pepoles find have good
    sucess and other have not ?

ChuckNorris

I like the orchid shrimp! Now where to find them . . .

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    No eggs, they are viviparous.
    Actually they do lay eggs from what I have seen. Chucknorris and I have both witnessed this and posted a thread: http://www.shrimpnow.com/forum/show...ails-2908.html

They are beautiful snails. Sulawesi is definitely a gift to freshwater hobbyists.

Here is a photo of the egg sac:

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aligi66 View Post
    This is the Sulawesi shrimp that I call "orchid".
    That is actually the Orange Delight Shrimp. I believe that one in the photo is a very dark one. Almost brown.

Orange Delight

This is what others call the Orchid Shrimp. I call it the Brown Camo.

Brown Camo

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wood For This Useful Post:

myles (21st Apr 2011)

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

More Sulawesi info.....

White Dash Shrimp

This is a moderately difficult shrimp to keep. It is the larger of the species, comparable in size to the Red Goldflake, but the Red Goldflakes might be slightly larger. I believe that this species will benefit from a larger tank, 20g and up, but I have had decent success in the 10g. The babies look just like the adults, just not as colorful. The babies have grown to juvenile stage along with the Cardinal Shrimp. I believe that this species is hardy like the Cardinal, although I think that the Cardinal is slightly more hardy. So, I recommend this species for a 20g tank and up. When stressed it seems to hide. When it is happy/healthy it will come out into the open.

Orange Delight Shrimp

This is a very hardy shrimp from my experience. It is the size of a Cardinal shrimp, not as large as the bigger species' of shrimp from sulawesi. It seems to color up very nice when healthy/happy. It is a solitary shrimp and does not crowd in groups. I believe that the coloration may be an indicator of health. I think that when it is healthy it will be a nice orange/red coloration. When unhealthy it will become a dark brown I believe.

Tan & Blue Shrimp

The Tan & Blue Shrimp has been difficult for me to keep. It is the largest species that I have kept. I believe that this species will also benefit from a larger tank, 20g and up. The coloration is definitely an indicator of health. When you actually see the two shades of coloration then it means it is healthy. An unhealthy shrimp shows almost total grey coloration. When stressed it will tend to hide and move slowly. It is a beautiful species but needs a bigger tank. The babies that I have had hatch have grown to sub-juvenile size. I have 2-3 in the tank.

I will post more species info later...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wood For This Useful Post:

myles (21st Apr 2011)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

can someone help me? sulawesi's can live with normal temp. right not like crystals and cherries?

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tancho_kuhaku View Post
    can someone help me? sulawesi's can live with normal temp. right not like crystals and cherries?
    I recommend temperature between 80-86F

Thread Information