Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terms used for shrimps

brightsparky

Quote Originally Posted by Led View Post
    Interesting - I got my CRS as juveniles, and the first clutch the female had was smaller than the second. I also had a better survival rate from the second breeding. Only 2 survived from the first one, and they don't look as good as the second lot, the first couple don't have as strong a white as the second clutch. I also added micro food with the second brood, so maybe that helped as well.
    Agree. Previously when I had those C grades, the initial birth was only a handful. Subsequent broods were higher in number.

Latest update on my preggy shrimp. She seems to have dropped more eggs sob, sob. , I think I can see only a handful. Wonder what is wrong, she keeps arching her body. Do they still molt during pregnancy?

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

They usually molt after all the eggs have hatched. The arching (tail curling?) could be a sign of a water issue - nitrate, nitrite, ammonia...have you got testers?

brightsparky

No test kits. Managed to rear the Grade B and C CRS shrimps without them for the last 1.5 yrs.

I hope I don't have to buy them and increase my cost. I am aiming at a low-cost shrimp tank.

So far only paid SIN$70 (about US$30 for a dozen A - S grade CRS.

Will see. Thanks for the advice.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

Yes, I know what you mean. I always try to start out extra tanks and keep the cost low. Then I spend an extra $10 or $20 here or there and before I know it I've spent too much again. That's a good price you bought the shrimp for, I wish we could get them at that price here...
    I really only keep an eye on nitrates and gh nowdays unless I'm starting a new tank or if I see some sort of problem with the shrimp. I bought a 'master aquarium test kit' from ebay that is pretty good and does most things except gh/kh. I think as you get higher grades you will notice they are affected more by water quality than the lower grades, so at least a nitrate test kit would be handy to check when things go a little strange, like they are with your female. Or of course you can plant you tank heavily and the plants will keep the water pretty clean, but of course then it is very hard to find the shrimp among all the plants
    Anyway, good luck with it all, I hope your female becomes a mom soon.
    Cheers.

brightsparky

The preggy mom still has 5 eggs. I hope she keeps all of them. Interestingly, it seems that only momma shrimp is arching her tail very often. The rest of the shrimps are not. So I should think the water parameters are ok.

Also noticed that momma shrimp is always moving about, foraging for food. When I feed it, some other shrimps will be more aggressive and fight the food from her. Sigh... hope she can cope.

Oh, the shrimps were about US$3 per shrimp - I bought US$30 for 10, 2 were thrown in for free. Didn't buy from LFS, bought from a local forumer.

brightsparky

Default Update

Preggy still has the 5 eggs. This is the 3rd day. Does it mean that she is stable already? How many days will it be considered stable?

brightsparky

Default Bad News

Preggy only has 2 eggs left. Looks bleak. Well, I think I will let it be. Que sera, sera, whatever will be, will be.

brightsparky

Default Picture of preggy

Preggy CRS with 2 eggs left. Hope they survive
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information