Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hydra problem in shrimp tank?

Regular
    Country
    Greece
    Thanks

What about the water fleas? Is there a way to get rid of them in a CRS tank?

Country
    Belgium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yiannis View Post
    What about the water fleas? Is there a way to get rid of them in a CRS tank?
    Again, there is a species of them also living with my crs (they are dark green, egg shape, with only very small legs sticking out on one end). They thrive on the vegetables I feed. Together with tiny white cyclops, they come in waves. Especially in new tanks. In a way I like them, because they are also crustacea, nice to watch!, and an extra indicator that the tank is good for crustacea. As they are so small, cyclops can not be any food competitor (they eat protists). The water fleas could however compete with the shrimplets. Combating water fleas will be tricky, as they are so close to the shrimplets. Any chemicals will kill both, and any predator can probably catch both. The only difference is that shrimplets are smart and hide more. So with a real slow/stupid fish it could work.
    I tried pygmy gourami's, but they only ate cyclops. The water fleas were slightly too big, and probably to hard for them to like them as food. But, I could tell that they were scaring my crs! Even the adults were hiding much more under the moss. After removing the shrimp, I put a young Microgeophagus altispinosa. He took out the entire population of fleas and copepods in 1 day and night. Now after a month, with shrimp again, the populations have still not recovered, but they are coming back.
    Another option is catching them. When you do a water change, or with a trap. Then discard them or feed them to the fish. It's more work, but keeping the population under control still seems to be the best idea to me, as they serve a purpose as waste absorbers.

Yeah, it's not that easy. But for sure don't over-react to their presence. Even if they are many, the shrimp could be doing perfectly ok. You would be surprised what else is living in your tanks, out of view...
    have patience my friend
    ... and big filtercapacities

Country
    Belgium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishgeek View Post
    do the snail eat the hydra or just compete with them for food?
    It would be very weird if snails could compete for food with the filterfeeding hydra's. I believe that certain carnivorous snail species will eat them, but the snails will have to be rather small to get to all the plants. And if the snails can breed in the tank, you could have introduced another unwanted guest...

Still, I guess it has more chance for succes than with fish.
    have patience my friend

Country
    Belgium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by altoids View Post
    i have a bunch of hydra in my tank
    is there a fish or something i could get to get ride of them?
    then when its time to introduce my shrimp i cant get ride of the fish.
    here are another bunch of ideas/experiences: http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/hydra.html#0

Let us know if you try something. Watch out with copper and temperature for the shrimp. And take in account that you will have bunch or rotting hydra corpses afterwards.
    have patience my friend

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoC View Post
    It depends on what kind of hydra it is. I have a small green species in my crystal shrimp tanks, and they only appear once in a while, maximum a few hundreds. They are completely harmless to the shrimplets.
    Really? I put the helena's in there because all of my shrimplets were dissapearing. I had a few that were quite large & visible to the naked eye. That's really odd I picked up 15 yellows a few months back and allthough I've seen berried yellows I only have 5 at best more shrimp. I keep several other populations of shrimp and they've all exploded in similar time frames.

I just assumed the hydra were the reason.

The carniverous snails are quite small maybe a tad bigger then Malyasian trumpet snails.

Thanks for the info, now I'll have to figure out why my yellow shrimplets are now surviving.

Country
    Belgium
    Thanks

but watch out, the hydra's in my tank are really green and slender. Basically fresh water polyps. I even think they eat microscopic things. Now way they can handle even a small shrimplet.

The hydra I see in pictures posted by people reporting trouble on internet looks a lot meaner. I would take a picture, but they have all disappeared again last week..

With all the reports, there has to be a carnivorous species out there that can catch shrimplets and fish larvae.
    have patience my friend

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoC View Post
    but watch out, the hydra's in my tank are really green and slender. Basically fresh water polyps. I even think they eat microscopic things. Now way they can handle even a small shrimplet.

The hydra I see in pictures posted by people reporting trouble on internet looks a lot meaner. I would take a picture, but they have all disappeared again last week..

With all the reports, there has to be a carnivorous species out there that can catch shrimplets and fish larvae.
    Thanks for the info...I decided to move all of the yellows into a new tank that I keep running and cycled as a hospitial tank. I threw out the gravel and the spongy part of my sponge filter, I'm disenfecting everything in the tank. The one's in my tank were visible to the naked eye and quite large. There were 3 attached to my heater and whitish in appearance, but their colouring could also be because they are in my fish room in the basement where lighting isn't ambiant. I wish I would have taken a picture.

My yellows are don't seem fazed by the move and are happily munching on some zuchinni as I type.

Thanks again for the info! Hopefully now whatever it was is gone, I see a few saddled females so here's hoping!

Country
    Spain
    Thanks

Hello. My name is Javi and I am a new member in this forum. I discovered this web some mounths ago when I see a link about Xema. But I didnīt know that he was Moderator here. I would like that he was Moderator in my web, but I arrived late... I am from Spain and I am here becaus I am Moderator in a similar web in spanish and I was looking for information in other webs. Please, forget me about my English, I know that isnīt perfect. Iīm studyng Biology in University and I love "Others invertebrates", and shrimp and snails olso. Iīve seem this post while I was looking for hydras. Iīm goin to tell you what I Know about Hydras. Here you can see a picture of a friend of mien:

The photo is of KIZD. Is suppose that he permit it.

This specie is Chlorohydra viridissima or green hydra. The color is because this animals have inside a lot of "bot algas". They make food for the hydra. Therefore this hydras are not the most dangerous abourt our invertebrates. Other species are only hunters, and are more dangerous. However a friend said to me two weks ago that this hydras kill some larvae of Neocaridina heteropoda.

Other friend has told me that some snails can eat hydras, like Lymnea stagnolis, but I canīt chek it becausa I have never had hydras in my tanks.

Hydras donīt desapear about competition whit snails, because hydras eat small animal like Daphnia, cyclops,etc.

I wish help you with this.

Iīll visit this forum sometimes to see you and help you and try to learm with you.

See you!!

My web is www.soloinvertebrados.es if somebody speaks spanish can see it because we have intersting things.

Bye!

Country
    Belgium
    Thanks

Thanks for the info and the pic Javi!
    Those green hydras are the ones I have. They never grow out of control and often (almost) disappear for long periods. I never attributed any loss of shrimplets to them. And they even were present in big numbers when I bred diamond gourami's. Never lost a fish larva to them either..
    They are too slender and small in my eyes to catch even the freshly hatched shrimplets. And any way, they filter the water stream, and the young shrimplets don't swim around that much, rather hide in the moss.

Hasta luego!

Mathias
    have patience my friend

Regular
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

I read that some fishes like gouramis feed on them.

Thread Information