Thread: pH 6.5 and kH 4.5 (kH too high?)

gros21

Default pH 6.5 and kH 4.5 (kH too high?)

tested my water today
    pH 6.5
    kh was 4.5 (ive been told it has to be between 1-2 is that correct)
    gh was ok (Can't remember exact figures but between 3-6)
    nitrate 0
    nitrite 0

so ive turned down the Co2 to bump up Ph and also added more plants
    any thing else i should do is kh to high?

um test were done with API 5 in 1 test strips, but i have ordered an API hardness test kit as well as a aquasonic nitrite test kit

Regular
    Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

why u need to bump up ur PH?

Senior
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gros21 View Post
    tested my water today
    pH 6.5
    kh was 4.5 (ive been told it has to be between 1-2 is that correct)
    gh was ok (Can't remember exact figures but between 3-6)
    nitrate 0
    nitrite 0

so ive turned down the Co2 to bump up Ph and also added more plants
    any thing else i should do is kh to high?

um test were done with API 5 in 1 test strips, but i have ordered an API hardness test kit as well as a aquasonic nitrite test kit
    I think your water parameters are almost perfect for CRS so don't think you need to meddle too much with it..... Also make sure your temp is 26C or below and constant....

gros21

um my tank sits between 24.5-26.6 will be getting a small bank of pc fans to drop temp.

i am concerened about kH at 4.5

ive read that its meant to be between 1-2

like ive said ive halved my co2 and added a lots more plants (to lower co2 even more)

gros21

i was told bumping up PH will lower kH only want ph at about 6.7

Regular
    Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

how's ur shrimp condition?
    if everything is fine, then i advise u dont make any adjustment.

gros21

no shrimp in there yet they will be here in 2 weeks, i have $700 US worth arriving just want to make sure it is perfect for them

fishgeek

altering kh does not necessarily alter pH or vice versa... though they are linked chemically by the henderson hasselbach equation

kh is a measurement of the carbonate and bicarbonate ions in the water
    these ions have the ability to bind to H+ ion

most liquid test kits are not just measuring the concentration of these ions , rather all ions that resist pH change(so other buffers like phosphates aswell)

kh or alkalinity is really the ability to resist pH changes

more importantly , if you are spending a large amount of money on new shrimp , i wouldn't be hung up on what the internet says is the appropriate water parameters
    i would want to know what the water the shrimp are coming in is like, then i would try and match that as closely as possible

i feel the best way to acclimatise is to keep all the transit water, and slowly drip my water into this over a period of days

your water parameters look ok
    i have cherry shrimp and crystal red shrimp breeding quite happily in my very hard alkaline water
    i know of another shrimp keeper in london with again hard alkaline water breeding tiger shrimp

i feel that these guys are very hardy once established and adapted to whatever type of water, as long as it is clean and nitrogen free

it is change that they dont like and like i said slow change seems to bother them least

andrew

Senior
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishgeek View Post
    altering kh does not necessarily alter pH or vice versa... though they are linked chemically by the henderson hasselbach equation

kh is a measurement of the carbonate and bicarbonate ions in the water
    these ions have the ability to bind to H+ ion

most liquid test kits are not just measuring the concentration of these ions , rather all ions that resist pH change(so other buffers like phosphates aswell)

kh or alkalinity is really the ability to resist pH changes

more importantly , if you are spending a large amount of money on new shrimp , i wouldn't be hung up on what the internet says is the appropriate water parameters
    i would want to know what the water the shrimp are coming in is like, then i would try and match that as closely as possible

i feel the best way to acclimatise is to keep all the transit water, and slowly drip my water into this over a period of days

your water parameters look ok
    i have cherry shrimp and crystal red shrimp breeding quite happily in my very hard alkaline water
    i know of another shrimp keeper in london with again hard alkaline water breeding tiger shrimp

i feel that these guys are very hardy once established and adapted to whatever type of water, as long as it is clean and nitrogen free

it is change that they dont like and like i said slow change seems to bother them least

andrew
    Well said!!!!! Exactly. exactly, exactly!!!

gros21

cheers guys im just being paranoid.
    last time i got some this is how i put them in

1.Placed open bags in box and cliped top of bag to lip of box to keep bags upright and open.
    2. set up slow dripper using airline and valve.
    3. Over 6hrs i would of tripled the water content 200ml to 600ml
    4. placed bags in tank again peged to top of tank.
    5. every 15min i added 50ml of water to bag. Done this for 2hrs till bags were FULL
    6. Slit bags with a Stanley blade knife to let the keen shrimp exit.
    7. After 10 or so min i fully slit the bag so buy the end of it i had just a sheet of plastic.
    8. Not one loss in the danger 72hr period

Thread Information