Thread: Harmful fish to baby shrimps

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

Default Harmful fish to baby shrimps

I saw one of my CRS carrying eggs but at the same time, I noticed that my Siamese algae Eater was nibbling on some CRS tails... I was worried that it will eat the baby shrimps (if they do hatch) and removed it ....
    Any opinions on this ..? I still keep my two Ottos and Yamato Shrimps to help do the job of eating some algae....

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Hi Tans,Read from some forums SAE is a "NO"in shrimp tank.Correct me if i`m wrong.=D

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

Kian, I dont think I want to findout whether you are right ... would have already cost me some money......I have taken the SAE out. Feel a bit sad because this fish has helped me with my algae problem .. but since it grew bigger, so has its appetite and I feel that its time for it to go ...

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Maybe you could put it up for adoption.

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

Kian, hey... thats a good idea... actually, it has found a new home in one of my colleagues' pond ....

Country
    Belgium
    Thanks

Siamese algae eaters are no hunters, but they are notorious for annoying other fish. I also kicked mine out when he was about 12 cm and really harassing the angel fish around feeding time. I also want to propose to name this fish SFFA, the Siamese Fish Food Eater, which is a more realistic name.

Probably it's better if you keep it out, as he will compete for the algae with the shrimp, and chances are that it will do harm with that nibbling, if only to waste the energy of the shrimp having to get away from that bugger.
    have patience my friend
    ... and big filtercapacities

Senior
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

If your sole purpose is to breed CRS in the tank, I would advise you not to have any fish at all, in my experience even otocinclus can irritate the shrimplets by thrashing around, though they will not eat them. My shrimplets come out more and looks much happier when I removed the otocinclus to some other tank.

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

milt, thanks for the advice - I thought that we put in Ottos to help out with the algae that is in the tank..? so far, my shrimps do come out in full force and seems like the ottos are the ones who are confined to the glass surface of the tank... lets see how they progress...

Senior
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TanS View Post
    milt, thanks for the advice - I thought that we put in Ottos to help out with the algae that is in the tank..? so far, my shrimps do come out in full force and seems like the ottos are the ones who are confined to the glass surface of the tank... lets see how they progress...
    Yes otos do help with the algae but when you feed algae wafers to the shrimps, they are easy and unresistable treats to the otos and adult CRS has no prob with otos fighting for food, but 1mm shrimplets may be trampled by the otos during the feeding frenzy.....

Thread Information