Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad color on some of my shrimps

Country
    Norway
    Thanks

Thanks for all answers. The temperature is at 24 degrees. And the shrimps are thriving in the water as it is, they eat pretty much all day long and are very active. Also there are, as I said earlier, several with eggs. So they're not unhappy I think, but that something with the water is not perfect I do understand and will try to fix.
    Oh, and when I said the mother dropped her shrimplets I meant she gave birth to them, she didnt drop them like in the bad way I saw my first baby shrimplets yesterday See the pictures. First one is of a shrimplet sitting on the glass, wich made it much easier to get in focus as it was very close.

Just checked the water again, since I put some leafs in there about 3 weeks ago. Ph is still 7,5, Gh is 9, Kh is 3. I cant drop the Gh to much as I also have baby applesnails in the aquarium so it cant go any lower than 6 tops. The snails are still to small to be able to move out of there..

About Ph, I have a Ph lowering thingy. But i am worried that a big change in Ph will hurt the shrimps? And especially the babies.

Quote: "you can try to take those rocks away and use a silk sock as a bag to keep some "PALM NET" and Soil-Amazonia sand inside"

What is this? I don't think this is something we have in Norway, never heard of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks
    Images

Palm Net

Sand
    if you can find those for your water, your CRS will become healthy.

Country
    Norway
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roisu View Post
    Palm Net

Sand
    if you can find those for your water, your CRS will become healthy.
    Is that sand what most of you use in your shrimp tanks? Or one of those? Cause I've been looking for something similar here but the closest thing I get is black sand. I was planning to change the sand in there, but I am not able to atm due to baby snails and super tiny baby shrimps

Country
    Hong Kong
    Thanks
    Images

oh!! you dont have to change anything in tank, just take the rocks out, those rocks may make the pH up always.
    And use a lady's silk sock as a bag to keep the sand OR Just palm net. Hang on the side of your tank. can you find palm net?

Country
    Norway
    Thanks

The rocks have been in there one day and the ph has been the same for 5 months, so dont think they are the reason
    I havent found any of them yet, but I asked on a norwegian forum to see if someone might know of it. I know people here use different dry leafs to lower Ph through Kh. But the only thing it did for me was lowering the Kh, the Ph stayed the same.

Country
    Norway
    Thanks

The C-grade female that got shrimplets 4 days ago got eggs again during the night. Is this very fast? Or just a sign they are happy? Counted 5 females with eggs now, especially 2 of them are very nice in pattern and strong colors.

Country
    Belgium
    Thanks

If I can make a comment: DON'T start to mess around with the pH.

Those shrimp look and sound perfectly healthy to me, exept that the white is not tooth-paste-smile bright.

If you really got to try to see if the pH is the key: raise a bunch of the kids for a few weeks, pick the ones you like the least and in the meantime set up a small tank for them. Make sure to keep all the other parameters as close to the original tank as possible.
    Then acclimatize them to the new tank and observe...!
    Later you can do with them whatever it takes to make them shine. Add commercial pH lowering drops, throw in oak leaves, peat, distilled water, household acids, hang in some palm nets, add water imported from the Amazone river, mud from the Rio Negro, Discus and Angelfish shit, Japanese sumo wrestlers sweat, ...
    Or some CO2, anyway you get the picuture. Measure the pH closely of course.

Anyway, that's how I would do it.

Country
    Belgium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mazter View Post
    The C-grade female that got shrimplets 4 days ago got eggs again during the night. Is this very fast? Or just a sign they are happy? Counted 5 females with eggs now, especially 2 of them are very nice in pattern and strong colors.

An important observation.

The fact that not all are looking pale reduces the likeliness that something is very wrong with your tank. Suboptimal at most.

Anyone of you people ever had the impression that CRS can adjust their brightness according to behaviour?

I noticed that the very active swimmers really turn pale in my tank.

Senior
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Yep, I agree with TitoC not to mess around with the parameters that much especially when you have 4-5 pregnant females...... The very fact that they are all pregnant means the water is really quite all right. Colours you can improve by selective breeding or messing around with the parameters later on away from the main tank. Think about maintenance as well, if you have to do so much to get a certain parameter right, it may just be plain exhausting for you in the long run to have such a hobby and worst, if you are away, disaster can happen since nobody is around to maintain the same parameters that you so painstakingly maintain all the time....
    Yes, TitoC, I do notice that CRS colours are different during different times of the day, I notice them to be especially colourful(intense) during the afternoon/evening when the sun is brightest(mine is a semi outdoor tank) and pale during the night when it is dark or early morning......

Country
    Norway
    Thanks

Thanks for all the answers Been away for the weekend, and when I came home last night I saw even more girls with eggs. So I will let it stay the way it is, no messing around. Saw 3 shrimplets also, dont know how many I have, but atleast 3
    I'll "mess" around with water in a different tank later on to see if I can get the color brighter. I ordered a mineral stone, don't know if it's all or not, but they werent to expensive so worth a try. Anyone got experience with those? Supposed to enhance the colors.

I will put some more dried leafs in there, it is often used here for corydoras and it will also lower ph abit. Maybe..

Atleast my shrimps seems perfectly healthy, 6-7 shrimps with eggs out of a total, male and female, of 20-25 is a very good sign

Thread Information