Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: low grade to high grade crs

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default low grade to high grade crs

hey im very new to shrimp. i havent even bought any except for some ghost shrimp as some starters.
    the shrimp i want to keep are crs but i cant afford the high grade ones. is it possible to start a colony of C grades and selectively breed them into high grades? or do i have to start with a high grade to get high grades?

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

somebody??

Regular
    Country
    Australia
    Thanks

You can start with lower grades and selective breed the traits you want.
    This may take a few years and careful selection, but its possible.

Senior
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Thats what I am doing now, my C grade shrimp just gave birth last week and from what I read in this awesome site there will be roughly 20% C, 60% B 20 % A grade shrimp and you can select the A grade shrimps to breed and get more A grade shrimps.... The only other thing is S grade shrimps may have newbee/bumblebee genes in them and that means you may not be able to acheive S grade or above shrimps with this method. But I do like the "candy" look of A grade shrimps and I think the fun part of rearing shrimps is actually the journey itself of constantly trying to improve the colours and patterns of the shrimp and not solely of the "end product" itself.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

yeah i agree with you milt the candy look is better. the white white ones have their own superior look but the candy look makes them look more exotic.

how many would i need to get a breeding colony. i dont got a clue with this. im familiar with breeding fish but i just got a small 3 gallon tank for my table and someone recommended CRS. is it even possible to breed them in a 3 gallon? BTW its a long 3 gallon so they have a lot of room. im temporarily housing a 8 cheap GHost shirmp with 3 african dwarf frogs in it amd space doesnt seem to be a problem.

Regular
    Country
    Australia
    Thanks

From my experience it's hard to breed CRS in a small tank because of water conditions.
    My temperature use to fluctuate and my Ph would vary with waterchanges and co2 addition. I had berried shrimp but they will always drop their eggs.

I believe tanks of 10 gallons or more are required to breed CRS, my current tank is a 35cm cube my previous tank was a 30cm cube.

I haven't heard of much success in small tanks, if your serious about breeding CRS and developing high grades, you should really invest in a new tank set up.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

i probably wont be having plants so co2 wouldnt be a problem and my ph is always stable.

its just the space that im worried about. how do they go about this? do they take care of their young or plant them somewhere?

im not extremely serious about improving their colors. just mainly having them breed so i dont have to buy replacements. the selective breeding will only be a side thing.

Country
    Sweden
    Thanks

I have read somewhere that som guy from Finland did that. Took him 3-4 year to get some S+.

gucci17

that's interesting. I didn't know that you could selectively breed the shrimp and reer out higher grades. Thanks for sharing the info.

Regular
    Country
    Australia
    Thanks

Selective breeding techniques was the key to the creation of crystal red shrimp, normal "bee" shrimps were selectively bred to get the variations we have today

Mr. HISAYASU SUZUKI has succeeded in breeding true red bee shrimp. He has named the shrimp "Crystal Red" and has been awarded a patent for his new shrimp.

Mr, SUZUKI has been breeding normal bee shrimps, which are banded with black stripes and has spent more than 8 million yen developing methods for breeding them over the past 6 years. Three years ago, he notice a single red bee shrimp in a batch of about a thousand shrimp.
    This first red bee shrimp died but three generations of bee shrimp later, he discovered 3 red bee shrimps among the 3,000 he had bred.
    He was successful in breeding the 3 red bee shrimp and now has more than 8,000 red bee shrimp in his tanks.

Mr. SUZUKI is a master of a small SUSHI bar in Aichi, Japan.
    The Crystal Red bee shrimp is truly red. It's color is just like that of boiled shrimp on Sushi rice.

information taken from
    http://www.japan-net.ne.jp/next/red/red*e.html

Thread Information