Thread: Blue tiger breeding outcomes

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default Blue tiger breeding outcomes

Hey I was wondering about the offspring of blue tigers.

I noticed that there is light blue tigers and dark blue. Will the light blue be able to breed those dark blues? They look very dark where the stripes are hard to see.

Then can those dark blue tigers breed light blue ones too? I know they don't breed pure but I can't decide to get dark blue or light blue ones. I just know I like them both.

Country
    Czech_Republic
    Thanks
    Images

I don't know what you call lightblue tiger. I know blue tigers with orange eyes. Their offspring can be blue or normal but with orange eyes. offspring of both of them can be blue. "normal orange eyed" are also called blonde tigers.

btw: What percentage of blue tigers occurs in offspring?

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

When I am talking about blue tiger shrimp, I mean all those blue tigers with blue eyes.

From what I hear, the offsprings are about 50 to 80 percent will be blue.

This is what I mean by light blue

Now the dark blues.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Hi MartialTheory,

These are my favorite shrimp. I believe all Blue tigers have true orange eye trait. ( As you can see the one you posted about have orange eyes )

For breeding colors of light and dark I believe It all depends on Mendels laws. Also I believe that a light blue can still produce a dark blue because it might still carry the trait of one of her dark blue parents. I will be setting up 3-4 tanks for these guys in a couple months and will do selective breeding with them. I have read that some hobbyist are do selective breeding to try and get a stronger blue trait. I do not think the percentage of the blue trait counts for all the shrimps.
    Hope that helps a little.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Odd that pic doesn't show up. Here it is again. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...iger/bt6kl.jpg

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thief View Post
    Hi MartialTheory,

These are my favorite shrimp. I believe all Blue tigers have true orange eye trait. ( As you can see the one you posted about have orange eyes )

For breeding colors of light and dark I believe It all depends on Mendels laws. Also I believe that a light blue can still produce a dark blue because it might still carry the trait of one of her dark blue parents. I will be setting up 3-4 tanks for these guys in a couple months and will do selective breeding with them. I have read that some hobbyist are do selective breeding to try and get a stronger blue trait. I do not think the percentage of the blue trait counts for all the shrimps.
    Hope that helps a little.

These are also my favorite shrimp for the moment. .

I know what the orange eyes breed true. I am thinking of crossing it with some black tigers, that is if I can ever get my hands on some, so I can go with some black eyes.

Now about the mendel's genetics, the punnet square u are talking about are easy in terms of a monohybrid cross. monohybrid in terms of what phenotypes we are talking about. that would hold valid if the blue has some kind of ressive or domainat factor. But what I seen, it seems to be a poly variable factor.

In fact, it would have to be at least a dihybird cross if not more. the problem is that with a monohybrid cross, theres really 4 outcome total. With a dihybird it goes up to 16 and gets much much more as it goes on.

I believe its more closer to a bombay phenotype. There has to be some kind of underlieing element that is indirectly causing the trait to apper. Which would explain why they only breed pure half the time.

Back to the main point, It seems that there are 2 types of blue tigers, light blue like that, or super dark thats almost black.

I fear that the light blue can't produce any super darks.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Well I took biology about a month ago but what is a Bombay phenotype?

In general I would think that light blue would beable to carry some darker blue just not as much. But in the long term I think it all depends on the shrimps family tree correct?

Country
    Italy
    Thanks
    Images

hi all...
    in this picture you can see some shrimps born from my blue tigers...They're still young, some of them start to became bluish...

the one dark blue is one of the first shrimp bought..

bye

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mattegm For This Useful Post:

myles (13th Apr 2011)

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

http://anthro.palomar.edu/blood/Bombay_pheno.htm thats the bombay phenotype.

Man matt, I envy u. I was just about to buy some on aquabid but after I won it, the seller won't sell it to me at the winning price. He wants more money. If u ever decide to sell ur dark blue tigers and ship to america let me know.

I would post an add in the want to buy section but the mods never let my ads go through.

Thread Information