Thread: Feeding Cherry Shrimp & CRS

Choco

Default Feeding Cherry Shrimp & CRS

I am new to shrimp keeping and I have some question about feeding (or not feeding) shrimps

My tank is a 3g nano tank with 5 cherries and 5 crystal red shrimp...the tank is pretty much covered with plants (hairgrass and HC)
    I put about 52 watts of light for 6-8 hrs + 26 watts for another 6 hrs per day, so algae are growing fast in there....(mostly brush and hair algae)

My question is, under these conditions, can I "not" feed the shrimp any food? Will they be fine just eating off the algae in the tank? I am sure they won't run out of algae to eat, but is it a good idea to have the shrimp live off algae alone? (lack of certain nutrient?)

I haven't feed them for 2 days, and they are pretty much constantly picking on the leaves and gravel. I got them a week ago, and before putting them in the planted tank, I have them in a small temporary tank where I feed them fish flake once every 1-2 days.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

yeah I think they can be fine. But the thing is that I don't really see them eat all algae much. so u should feed them. I don't feed them every day though. Like once every 3 days or so.

They should be fine in an establish tank where they can search for their own food.

Senior
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Hi, most of us overfeed our shrimps and its really hard not to since our instinct is to want the best for our shrimps.... The presence of algae in our tank usually shows that we have overfed our shrimps..... I usually cut my algae wafer to very tiny pieces and allow a 1mm-2mm piece to each shrimp per day. Even then I usually have a rest day a week when I don't the shrimps at all and they will be happily grazing on algae and whatever stuff they can find. In fact I think they can go on a few more days without feeding but I just don't have the heart to see them "starve"......

fishscale

Overfeeding would be worse than underfeeding, IMO. Just make sure that you remove any uneaten food after a couple of hours. I don't feed my shrimp tank very often. If you have java moss (or any kind of moss for that matter), your shrimp will comb through it eating detritus.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Like milt said underfeeding is better than overfeeding. Also I would think that in the wild Algea would be a major thing in their diet so I would think it's Ok to have a algea diet with the ocassional shrimp pellet and such.

Thread Information