Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breeding of Shrimp from Sulawesi

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Default Breeding of Shrimp from Sulawesi

Hello All,

I was wondering if there are any updates anyone could share on breeding success of Shrimp from Sulawesi as well as if they are still doing well in your tanks?

Thank you in advance, Bill

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Hi Bill, I recognize you from another forum. I do not have any so this is just speculation. I have been frequenting German sites as I have become obsessed by what has become known as the Freshwater Harlequin Shrimp. I have not been able to find any site that discusses any success breeding them. I believe that it is probably because of one or two reasons. 1. A food related issue. Many of the shrimp that we keep that do go through a larval stage are able to handle food as large as 500 microns when they hatch. Given the small size of the larvae of the Sulawesi varieties I would imagine that they need a smaller food source and perhaps more of it, which could foul the water and cause a die off.

Another theory that I have come up with involves the depth of the water. They are found near the shallow areas of the lake(s), I heard them referred to as both, but perhaps while in the larval stage they hit deeper water which would, most likely, be several degrees cooler than the water the adults are harvested from. I say this because a great majority of the shrimp that are being captured are adults, at least what is believed to be adults.

It is sad that the only shrimp currently available are wild caught, as they have been in aquariums for around three years now. If there were any successes I would imagine that the details would be out by now, the folks that have them are not only retailers, they are also dedicated hobbyists.

My apologies, this probably is not what you wanted to hear. I think it is pertinent though. If anyone has any links refuting what I have posted I would love to check it out.
    Last edited by sstimac; 13th Feb 2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: clarification

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply and what I want to hear is not near as important as truth...LOL and yes I frequent several of the forums from time to time.

I have read of folks claiming to have had them breed in captivity then all is again quiet...Perhaps for the reasons you mentioned, but I hope not.

I was hoping someone that has actually had success would speak up here or elsewhere with their story. Or for that matter info about failure....

Perhaps that will still happen?

Cheers, Bill

Country
    Germany
    Thanks

In germany the first breeders allready have their own spawn.
    NOT importes eggs....
    Regards
    Sven

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Hello Sven,

That is good news indeed. Do you have information regarding the young being larvae or if they hatch as fully developed?

Thank you for your reply, Bill

Country
    Germany
    Thanks

They are highly developed....
    a breeder mentioned that they breed for 2 till 3 weeks what can be, if u look at the temperatures. Maybe they dont live too long either.... probably about 1 Year? Who knows....
    Regards
    Sven

Country
    Italy
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Macadamian View Post
    They are highly developed....
    a breeder mentioned that they breed for 2 till 3 weeks what can be, if u look at the temperatures. Maybe they dont live too long either.... probably about 1 Year? Who knows....
    Regards
    Sven

mac, do you have some links anout it?
    I use to believe only in things that i can see...In internet forum many breeder o people says "yes sulawesi shrimps breed well etc ect"..

BUT...

Does anyone have ever seen some pictures of offspring of these kind of shrimps?I can say "no", but probably someone here can give us infos about it))

I think that the people who have success with sulawesi shrimps (if exists) keep the secret for his own....
    It's strange that in all this time nobody has given info about breeding and raising offspring if it is so simple as people says..

ciao

Country
    Germany
    Thanks

Well ive seen them live in tanks ive seen pictures in the internet even a video is on Youtube.
    And on top of it i do have some in my own tank but i dont see them!!!!
    Funny huh?
    I wont post the link to this vid on youtube.... all unbelievers need to find it themself (btw its a german vid and the babys are very small HF searching)
    Regards
    Sven

Country
    Germany
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattegm View Post
    I think that the people who have success with sulawesi shrimps (if exists) keep the secret for his own....
    It's strange that in all this time nobody has given info about breeding and raising offspring if it is so simple as people says..
    All infos to breed them allready given..... no secrets to be made....
    And in a short time you will find out what u just said here....

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

I have seen the vidio...Again I thank you Sven.

Bill

Thread Information