Thread: underground vs. sponge filter.. which works better for you?

aberfitch

Default underground vs. sponge filter.. which works better for you?

I have mostly been using side bio tank filters for fish and sponge filters with shrimp for about 7 years now but I am reading a lot of pro CRS breeders using underground filters with the plant soil. I usually have a bare tank to breed shrimp. I am setting up a tank for CRS and I know the importance of soil for CRS but not sure about using an underground filter (old fasioned filter with bubbles on each side) What is your take on this subject? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Default Sponge Filter

Hi Aberfitch,

Can kindly advise whether how long we should replace or wash the sponge filter?

My tank is only 2ft x 3/4ft.

Warmest regards
    JoeOY

Senior
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Images

personnally if your tank will be planted with plant who have root avoid the underground filter (my opinion).
    i love my sponge , because it give shrimp lot of candy
    ok sponge is not really nice looking in a tank , that's probably why many dont use it.
    all my crs tank have sponge + canister.
    most of my neocaridina tank have sponge + corner filter

the rest of my tank have mix sponge , or sponge +canister or sponge + corner, etc.....

Kenshin

I believe sponge is a lot better since the shrimps can actually graze on the micro-organisms on the sponge (part of their diet). Underground is good for not creating an anaerobic condition, but there is no advantage/disadvantage for the shrimps either. All it does is circulate the water, and create water surface tensions.

go9ma123

I have 2 10g and 1 20g. 20g tank I use canister, double sponge and undergravel filters. I have about 5.5 cm soils. Undergravel doesn't bother at all. 10g tanks I use hang on filter + sponge filters. They do pretty good job.

Thread Information