Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Black Diamond tank! (lots of pictures)

Fish Newb

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Thanks for the link Frank!

I also have some that are fully yellow, and solid colors and not striped.

Do you know if breeding is somehow possible in FW? Or have a possible suggestion to what these new baby snails are?

Thanks a ton.
    -Andrew

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Images

Hi Andrew,

Like I write they need brackish water.
    I donīt know anybody breeding them.
    They are pretty nice and much smaller than common neritina species.
    Look at the big pic at end of the page: http://www.wirbellose-nrw.de/D/Schnecken.htm
    This was by far my favourite snail.

Fish Newb

Hi Andrew,

Like I write they need brackish water.
    I donīt know anybody breeding them.
    They are pretty nice and much smaller than common neritina species.
    Look at the big pic at end of the page: http://www.wirbellose-nrw.de/D/Schnecken.htm
    This was by far my favourite snail.
    Frank, you're a wealth of great knowledge in this hobby! Thanks for taking the time to post.

I also have never heard of anyone breeding them, and have assumed they are brackish breeders also. Some that I have are actually quite large, around the 2-3cm mark.

Do you think a rapid change in PH,KH, and GH could somehow trick the snails? Also with a period of temperature change and out of water? This is the only explanation I can think of. They've been growing and seem to be baby clithon I'll try and get some more pictures this week.

Also, are they ever red and black? I've got one who is. Some are also gray, I'm thinking these are olive nerites.

If they aren't baby clithon coronas, which they shouldn't be. Any proposed Identifications for these baby snails? I can't really think of any myself.

Only time will tell it seems, I rescaped the tank last Friday on impulse by the way.

-Andrew

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Images

I donīt think such tricks could work.
    Please post some pics.

aberfitch

hi quick question. I see you have reds and blacks in the same tank. Do they inerbread? I am interested in starting a diamond tank also

AquaVu

Quote Originally Posted by aberfitch View Post
    hi quick question. I see you have reds and blacks in the same tank. Do they inerbread? I am interested in starting a diamond tank also
    Black and red bees DO interbreed so i don't think you should mix them. Although the red bees are more valued and wanted, I still prefer the look of the black bee shrimps. They're one of my all time favorite.

Fish Newb

I donīt think such tricks could work.
    Please post some pics.
    I'll try and get some more pictures this weekend. I think it may be possible that I've either tricked them, or they can breed in FW. They certainly look like the proposed parents thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by aberfitch View Post
    Red is the recessive gene. So I bought all blacks and one c red got mixed in somehow, assuming that these blacks are Bb that means 25% of offspring will be red. Some of the shrimp are brown, which is unusual and in the past year has just occurred in a few tanks so my percentages may be a bit off.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaVu View Post
    Black and red bees DO interbreed so i don't think you should mix them. Although the red bees are more valued and wanted, I still prefer the look of the black bee shrimps. They're one of my all time favorite.
    The mixing is fine, they're the same shrimp and CRS where bred from blacks and over their bloodline's lifetime have been bred back and forth with each other. My black diamonds came from someone cleaning his CRS tank of them so I also got a deal. They're my favorites as well. CRS are cool, but nothing can beat the black and white of the black diamonds, the browns are interesting though. If I can get a nice SS grade 4 band brown it may look very nice as well.

My breedout is turning out well. Some nice V bands and such. Some other B grades are mixed in as well, but over time I'll cull (not actually kill just rid myself of) them out.

In the future, I'm going to try to get a solid red C grade bloodline bred. Its something I've also always wanted to do. It should also be a bit cheaper than going with A-S-SS shrimp grades

I'll get some pictures soon.

-Andrew

gundam

i see your tank ,it's nice.
    happy new year

bullitt

where did you get your black diamonds? nice pics!

Regular
    Country
    Australia
    Thanks

excellent photos, thanks for sharing
    i love looking at pictures of shrimplets they are so cute

Thread Information