Thread: Will removing Coral chips in ADA soil setup lower PH?

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Default Will removing Coral chips in ADA soil setup lower PH?

Hi all, need some advice..
    I've a 2ft tank currently running on a chiller connected to a Eheim 2026 maintaining at 25 degrees. Iniside my filter i have Biohome, Ceremic Rings and quite alot of Coral Chips. So far no casualities and the CRS are doing fine, but i realized after putting in the coral chips my PH went to 7.3 even with ADA soil. My GH went to 170ppm which is quite hard. Thus i removed the coral chips inside my filter, only leaving a few small pieces behind for the buffering and calcium for sucessful molting. Will by this lower my PH eventually with the ADA soil inside? Or is there a better solution? I'm currently not injecting CO2..

Kenshin

If you are trying to raise CRS, then it is not even necessary to even use coral chips in the tank with ADA soil. All it does is just buffer the water to a higher pH state. Shrimps or invertebrates receive their calcium source from feeding and not from the water source for successful molting to occur. You only need to use coral chips in a tank where the shrimps prefer alkaline and hard water conditions. I hope this helps.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin View Post
    If you are trying to raise CRS, then it is not even necessary to even use coral chips in the tank with ADA soil. All it does is just buffer the water to a higher pH state. Shrimps or invertebrates receive their calcium source from feeding and not from the water source for successful molting to occur. You only need to use coral chips in a tank where the shrimps prefer alkaline and hard water conditions. I hope this helps.
    i know its not necessary. i just want to know after i removed my cc will the PH drop back to normal due to my ADA soil setup or must i add extra additives as my water is quite hard due to the CC conditioning.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by koonac View Post
    Hi all, need some advice..
    I've a 2ft tank currently running on a chiller connected to a Eheim 2026 maintaining at 25 degrees. Iniside my filter i have Biohome, Ceremic Rings and quite alot of Coral Chips. So far no casualities and the CRS are doing fine, but i realized after putting in the coral chips my PH went to 7.3 even with ADA soil. My GH went to 170ppm which is quite hard. Thus i removed the coral chips inside my filter, only leaving a few small pieces behind for the buffering and calcium for sucessful molting. Will by this lower my PH eventually with the ADA soil inside? Or is there a better solution? I'm currently not injecting CO2..
    If you have prolonged in a state of 7.3, it is likely that even when you remove the coral chip, the pH will not drop too much down, as the acidicity has very much delepeted by the coral chip.

Thread Information