Thread: UV Canister Filter

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Question UV Canister Filter

Anyone heard or used before UV Canister Filter?
    What good does UV does to the tank?
    Is it good for shrimps tank?

Regular
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I've never heard of a UV canister filter before. Usually UV and canister don't mix well together.
    UV kills bacteria and algae spores and other harmful stuff like Ick and the likes. They also kill off any micros that happened to be sucked in my the filter.
    Having said that, a canister filter usually have a bio-filter stage where it is important to have lots of beneficial bacteria in there to help filter the water and make it not as toxic to your fish. If you put a UV in there, it's going to be pretty tricky to keep the UV from killing off your beneficial bacteria. So not sure how that works.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zebrapl3co View Post
    UV kills bacteria and algae spores and other harmful stuff like Ick and the likes. They also kill off any micros that happened to be sucked in my the filter.
    Having said that, a canister filter usually have a bio-filter stage where it is important to have lots of beneficial bacteria in there to help filter the water and make it not as toxic to your fish. If you put a UV in there, it's going to be pretty tricky to keep the UV from killing off your beneficial bacteria. So not sure how that works.
    This information is incorrect. A UV sterilizer is basically a covered lamp that emits UV radiation. It is usually hooked up in-line with either the inlet or outlet of a canister filter. As water flows through the sterilizer, the UV that is emitted will only kill the spores and/or bacteria that pass under the lamp. It will *not* kill any of the beneficial bacteria that occupies the surfaces of sponges, ceramic rings or other filter media.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

I've never heard of a UV canister filter before. Usually UV and canister don't mix well together.

I just found out that they are selling in Singapore LFS which cost more than the normal canister filter. The owner said it's new in the market and this UV also help to kill all germs to make the water cleaner

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by retardo View Post
    This information is incorrect. A UV sterilizer is basically a covered lamp that emits UV radiation. It is usually hooked up in-line with either the inlet or outlet of a canister filter. As water flows through the sterilizer, the UV that is emitted will only kill the spores and/or bacteria that pass under the lamp. It will *not* kill any of the beneficial bacteria that occupies the surfaces of sponges, ceramic rings or other filter media.
    Wow, so this filter is much better then those normal one?

Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stardust0012 View Post
    Wow, so this filter is much better then those normal one?
    It's not a filter, so it's not better or worse than a canister filter. UV sterilizers are separate pieces of equipment which usually are attached to the hoses on either the inlet or outlet of a canister filter so that as water passes by the lamp, it kills any algal spores or harmful bacteria. However, I guess if they have introduced a canister filter that has a UV lamp built in, I suppose it is better. A UV sterilizer is not a required piece of equipment, and if you have the money to spend on it, by all means do so.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by retardo View Post
    It's not a filter, so it's not better or worse than a canister filter. UV sterilizers are separate pieces of equipment which usually are attached to the hoses on either the inlet or outlet of a canister filter so that as water passes by the lamp, it kills any algal spores or harmful bacteria. However, I guess if they have introduced a canister filter that has a UV lamp built in, I suppose it is better. A UV sterilizer is not a required piece of equipment, and if you have the money to spend on it, by all means do so.
    Actually the price of this filter is not cheap.

BaLuKu

actually UV is not a "Must Have" equiptment for CRs keeping

Regular
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

*Sigh*
    Retardo, when stardust said a UV canister filter, I believe he mean a canister filter with a built-in UV sterilizer.
    Now go back to my first post a re-read what I said, it will make alot more sense.

A UV sterilizer or a UV inline sterilizer works pefectly well with a a canister filter because the biological filter stage are not exposed to the UV rays. It's the built-in one that makes me wonder how effective they are and how they get around to isolating the UV so that is won't kill the beneficial bugs.
    I've though about putting a product like that into the market. The technology behind the concept is pretty simple, but it putting all that into a single canister and making it work is too complicated and costly and can't compete with a UV inline sterilizer.
    And yes, I agree with BaLuKu, you don't need a UV sterilizer. In my opinion, you be better off without one as the micro bugs maybe a source of food for baby shrimps. And so what if there are algae spores? They are just more food for the shrimp. ICK, hahahah, the shrimps would laught at them.

Country
    United_States
    Thanks
    Images

*Sigh*
    Retardo, when stardust said a UV canister filter, I believe he mean a canister filter with a built-in UV sterilizer.
    Now go back to my first post a re-read what I said, it will make alot more sense.

A UV sterilizer or a UV inline sterilizer works pefectly well with a a canister filter because the biological filter stage are not exposed to the UV rays. It's the built-in one that makes me wonder how effective they are and how they get around to isolating the UV so that is won't kill the beneficial bugs.
    I've though about putting a product like that into the market. The technology behind the concept is pretty simple, but it putting all that into a single canister and making it work is too complicated and costly and can't compete with a UV inline sterilizer.
    And yes, I agree with BaLuKu, you don't need a UV sterilizer. In my opinion, you be better off without one as the micro bugs maybe a source of food for baby shrimps. And so what if there are algae spores? They are just more food for the shrimp. ICK, hahahah, the shrimps would laught at them.
    I read you perfectly the first time. If you read my post, I did mention that the lamp is usually covered and will not directly affect the beneficial bacteria, essentially maintaining the concept of an inline sterilizer. Any manufacturer that leaves the lamp such that it affect the bio-filter should not be in the business of making such equipment.

Thread Information