Thread: How to get rid of white worms?

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Default How to get rid of white worms?

Dear all expert,

I have a 1 ft tank which have a few small white worms in my tank. Can i know how to get rid of them and why i have it in my tank?

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Might be planaria. I heard it's harmless, but it usually arises from overfeeding, or undercleaning. I think.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haeun View Post
    Might be planaria. I heard it's harmless, but it usually arises from overfeeding, or undercleaning. I think.
    Ya, i agreed that it's harmless (stated in some forum). But it's getting very ignoring watching them swimming around my tank

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Here are some text from various websites. (Sorry, can't provide the links.)

Here are my recommendations.

1. Clean Your Aquarium. Click here to read about Cleaning Your Warm Water Aquarium. In particular you should clean your gravel with a Gravel Washer. Click here for more about a Gravel Washer.

2. Add Aquarium Salt to your aquarium up to a maximum of 1 Tablespoon for each 5 gallons of water in your aquarium. I seem to remember you have a so-called 29-gallon aquarium, which probably has about 25 gallons of water. If so, you should add a maximum of 5 Tablespoons of Aquarium Salt. If, for example, you already have 2 Tablespoons in your water, add 3 more Tablespoons.

3. Don't Over React. Clean your gravel every day with the Gravel Washer. When you've removed 20% of the water, stop and top your aquarium back up with tap water from the faucet. In your case 20% of 25 gallons = 0.20 x 25 = 5 gallons. Repeat this procedure every day.

4. It may take several days of gravel washing to get your gravel really clean. When it is finally really clean, begin removing gravel, until it is at most 1/4" deep. If you have an under gravel filter, email me back, because you'll need some more advice, or click here to go to another website with information about how to remove an under gravel filter.

5. Add Quick Cure. Each day after you clean your aquarium and wash the gravel, treat the water with 1 drop of Quick Cure for each gallon of water in your aquarium. In your case this will be 25 drops once a day each day. Click here for more about Quick Cure. You can also replace the Aquarium Salt that you removed, which would be 1 Tablespoon in the 5 gallons of water.

6. Small fish such as baby mollies might eat the planaria. I would try adding a few small fish to see if they will eat the planaria.

Q:My son has a small tank with fresh water fish. Recently we noticed some small white creatures scurrying along the bottom of the tank. They have multiplied quickly and the tank is infested. There hasn't been any change in the tank and nothing new was added. What are these things and how do we get rid of them?

A: This is probably a planaria worm or one of the other similar species. Typically these are a result of poor cleaning of the gravel area resulting in polluted water. Normally the gravel needs to be vaccumed with a gravel cleaner on a 1/3 per water change basis. Once the critters are in there you have problems getting them out. There are some chemicals available in aquarium stores for removing parasites and most worm species but depending on your fish (and snails or crustaceans such as shrimp or crayfish) it may also be toxic to other inhabitants of your tank. To combat this problem it is suggested to vac as much as you can and change the water more often until you see the problem go away. Also try to reduce feedings. Planaria themselves are not really a bad thing if that is what you have and the presence is really just an indicator of too much debris/food particles in the tank. If it turns out to be some of the other worms though this may be a problem though. Scale back the feedings to give less food because it is likely building up in the water and the planaria are going after it and thriving.

Regular
    Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

try not to feed it for few days.

Fish Newb

Just cut back on feeding, Most if not ALL small kritters in your tank are because of overfeeding.

You could also remove them manually or try and trap them, see the library. Its got one of the best resources on annoying kritters in our tanks anywhere really...

-Andrew

Yeah I spelled critters with a K I'm just cool like that

Thread Information