Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Halocaridina rubra? Hawaiian red shrimp "opae ula"

Regular
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevinlaikf View Post
    I had been keep the Hawaiian red shrimp in Singapore for over 2 years, bought 50, first week died 40% due to overfeeding in a large jar, 29 survived were transferred to a 2 ft tank with airpowered UGF filter coral gravel base.

Now population probably quadrupled, there are signs of floating larvii almost every 1-2 weeks.

Never need to feed them, they are hardy, tolerant of salinity fluctuation, outlived all freshwater shrimp by 100 times. I got 2 shrimps enclosed in a 3.5-inch jar with airtight lid for 2 years, no feed, no water change, just indirect sunlight, still lively.

My headache now is designing a cleaning system which cleanse the waste from the glutton shrimps. Stagnant water with such waste could be toxic to any hatchling, but too much aeration is quite unsightly and spook the shrimps thus less births

What a dilemma...
    You are a sick man kevinlaikf.

Regular
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevinlaikf View Post
    I had been keep the Hawaiian red shrimp in Singapore for over 2 years, bought 50, first week died 40% due to overfeeding in a large jar, 29 survived were transferred to a 2 ft tank with airpowered UGF filter coral gravel base.

Now population probably quadrupled, there are signs of floating larvii almost every 1-2 weeks.

Never need to feed them, they are hardy, tolerant of salinity fluctuation, outlived all freshwater shrimp by 100 times. I got 2 shrimps enclosed in a 3.5-inch jar with airtight lid for 2 years, no feed, no water change, just indirect sunlight, still lively.

My headache now is designing a cleaning system which cleanse the waste from the glutton shrimps. Stagnant water with such waste could be toxic to any hatchling, but too much aeration is quite unsightly and spook the shrimps thus less births

What a dilemma...
    Sorry to dig up this old thread kevin, but i just wanted to know how you got yours to breed ^^ Any tips?

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drakarian View Post
    Sorry to dig up this old thread kevin, but i just wanted to know how you got yours to breed ^^ Any tips?
    Just ensure u had enough room for the shrimps to move around, and enough light to promote algae growth..

Minimal aeration from airstone to circulate the water to prevent different salinity layers.
    Too much disturbance however is bad for shrimps and its hatchings.

It takes me almost 1 years before i start to observed any berried female.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevinlaikf For This Useful Post:

andreakchua (16th Mar 2017), Drakarian (13th Mar 2011)

Regular
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

How about the water? I was told that so long as i change the water gradually, they'll take freshwater, but won't breed. how do you get the proper salinity? Sorry to bother you so much. Thanks in advance!

Country
    United_States
    Thanks

Try www.stonecraftsite.com. I bought mine over a year ago from there. He's out of Washington state. I bought a dozen at 4 bucks each plus shipping.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Just addopt 4 shrimps frm crs but 2 of them are transparent. Are the transparent one doing fine or are they sick? Can't seem to find any further information of these shrimp. Kelvin, are you still keeping the shrimps? Would like to purchase some from you if you're loaded with them ^^

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oopsabi View Post
    Just addopt 4 shrimps frm crs but 2 of them are transparent. Are the transparent one doing fine or are they sick? Can't seem to find any further information of these shrimp. Kelvin, are you still keeping the shrimps? Would like to purchase some from you if you're loaded with them ^^
    transparent likely due to stress, it would take time for them to adapt and turn deep red.
    i started with 29. now after 3 years, i got over 100. gave 30+ to my cousins, and they are still breeding in my 2ft tank.

I doubt i would want to sell them for profit, but may consider selling to recoup cost for my investment in time and effort getting a balance environment for these shrimps, just PM me for more info.

Regards,

Kevin Lai

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevinlaikf For This Useful Post:

Oopsabi (12th Feb 2012), reno (14th Feb 2012)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Images

Mind pm me about the details?

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Hi kevin, would like to knw more detail abt this Hawaiian red shrimps and would like to start by getting few from you.. Can pm me more abt it?

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks

Hi, was doing more write-up on this volcanic shrimps. My girlfriend bought 2 for me from CRS. I was thinking of transferring them to a bigger tank as i find it is very pity to house them in a small bottle from CRS...but how do i go about conditioning their water?

Thread Information